Thread: White waterborne lacquer (acrylic) schedule

Question White waterborne lacquer (acrylic) schedule

Hello,

I am refinishing some large cabinets and would like to use an off white, pigmented waterborne lacquer. I spoke to my local ML Campbell dealer and he advised:

• Sand up to 220
    • Apply 1-2 coats of primer (scuff to 320 between coats and after)
    • Apply 1-3 coats of pigmented pre-cat lacquer (scuff to 320 between)
    • Sand smooth to 400
    • Apply 1 coat clear pre-cat lacquer for protection (optional, but suggested)
    • Wait 7 days and burnish with a brown paper bag

I was wondering if anyone could advise on whether the above is a reasonable schedule? Is the clear top coat actually required? Is sanding with 400 grit really needed between the pigmented and clear coats? What is with the brown paper bag? The recommended wet film for the product is 4 mil per coat; can I get away with thinner coats to avoid runs?

He said good sterated paper is fine. I am new to the world of waterborne finishes and it has been years since I last sprayed a finish. I have an HVLP gun and a 3 stage turbine.

The clear coat is optional, the pigmented finish is a tough as the clear coat. I can't answer whether you need to go to 400 between the pigmented and clear coat, but you can test that easily if as you spray the pigmented material you also make a test patch that you can see if the sanding scratches from 320 do disappear under the clear coat.

i haven't really done anything like this yet, but recently spoke to ml campbell about a similar schedule and the tech i talked to did mention that technically Agualente is self sealing, so a primer is not entirely needed. I'm sure using primer won't hurt, but maybe with additional thinner coats of lacquer you can get away with skipping the primer.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Thanks guys. If I remember correctly, the tech I spoke to said the clear topcoat is a little more forgiving and levels out a little easier than the pigmented lacquer. A better "off the gun" finish in his opinion. Anyone have any experience with this?

Brown paper bags have a very fine abrasive on them. Rubbing a piece gently over the cured finish will round over any nibs in the finish without leaving scratches. It leaves the finish smooth and silky to the touch. It's an old trick - and it works.

John