Thread: Campaign Stool ( a la Schwarz )

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Campaign Stool ( a la Schwarz )

Greetings:
    This is my first post in projects; I usually hang in the Neander section of SMC.
    Not a big deal, but I was struck with the recent hoopla over the Campaign Stool - it combines a couple disciplines, and I had always wanted to do leather stitching, this project was the impetus to do so.
    I only own a Midi lathe, so I got to use my buddies Oneway, that in itself was a treat. The photos are the white oak version, I turned two sets of legs in Pacific Yew, one in Eastern maple, and one in birch ( I think ). The seats aren't done for the last four as of yet. I finished the legs on the lathe with Briwax Golden Oak. I was careful with grain orientation and drilling the through holes; a 2x4 cradle with a groove facilitated working with the round legs.

I got the leather from Tandy, as well as a leather stitching kit, and that went reasonably well - the hardest part of the whole thing was stitching ' around the corner ' with the pocket for the leg in the back. The leather was an ' Austin Double Shoulder ' 8 - 10 oz. weight, and it was very supple material to work with that already feels broken in.

I used the three bolt latest upgrade as well: easily done with very good instructions from Chris' blog for the bolts and the build in general.

All in all, a very nice, functional project that will give much service in the future.

Please excuse the cell phone pics, but they will give you an idea of the project. I recommend it highly.

Dave B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks very good. Well done and I bet it will come in handy.

Looks great... would make a great fishing stool.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Thanks for the kind comments. I look forward to using the stool.
    Dave B

Looks good. Did you use the standard bolt and eye bolt solution to put the legs together?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike:
    I used the latest version ' 1/2" heavy nut and three 5/16" x 2-1/4" bolts ' tri-bolt solution.
    I have access to and the means of all necessary tools to do that part of the project.
    It keeps things symmetrical when you fold it up; I am going to turn and acorn finial to hide the 1/2" nut, but it doesn't really need it IMHO.
    Thanks for the comments all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Looks good. Did you use the standard bolt and eye bolt solution to put the legs together?

Mike
    I don't know either what "latest version 1/2" heavy nut and three 5/16" x 2-1/4" bolts tri-bolt solution" means either. But if I squint carefully at the third pic in the original post, it appears that there's a nut in the middle, and it has been drilled and tapped on three of the six faces. A bolt goes through each leg, and into the tapped nut in the middle. If I were building it, I'd put Locktite on those bolts to keep them from backing out. My guess is that the nut is just a convenient piece of hex stock. It doesn't matter at all that it is a nut.

Jamie:
    Chris Schwarz posted on his blog at The Lost Art Press the offer to download for free the chapter from his latest book about the three legged stool.
    The last page of the chapter was regarding the three bolts and using a ' heavy ' 1/2" nut to drill and tap.
    Works slick as can be.
    You could use hex stock for sure, but the nut trick lets you get away without using a bottoming tap.
    I am not associated with Lost Art Press; I do appreciate the way CS is pretty free with his info and his general take on woodworking in general.
    Dave B