Thread: Delta gray paint match question

Delta gray paint match question

I purchased one of these Delta "Bandsaw Kits" from Redmonds along with a Jet base from a fellow creeker a while back and would like to paint the base "delta gray" to match the rest of the saw. Any ideas on how to come up with a paint match?
    I would like to use a can of off the shelf spray paint, or brush on enamel.
    I posted this under another thread, but did not receive a response so desided to try under its own title, sorry for the duplication.
    Thanks
    Scott

Scott,

I built a cabinet to go under my PM 66 table saw (50" fence) and I wanted it to match the saw. I took the front cover off the saw and went to HD and they put it on the computer and matched it. You really have to look close to see any difference.

Tommy

Ditto for me - paint match from HD

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    I purchased one of these Delta "Bandsaw Kits" from Redmonds along with a Jet base from a fellow creeker a while back and would like to paint the base "delta gray" to match the rest of the saw. Any ideas on how to come up with a paint match?
    I would like to use a can of off the shelf spray paint, or brush on enamel.
    I posted this under another thread, but did not receive a response so desided to try under its own title, sorry for the duplication.
    Thanks
    Scott
    congrats on the BS purchase , I did the same thing. I built base out of MDF, and used an acrylic gloss paint that was paint matched to the metal pulley guard...it is a perfect match...(I think).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19434

Thanks for all your replies! I will take my piece in for color matching tonight. I assume you applied the paint with a brush, does it leave any brush marks? Do I need to do any surface prep?
    Scott

Something else to try if you want to spray instead of brush. Find an automotive paint store, they can match the paint, or possibly pull up the mixture on their computer, mix some enamel auto paint. They should also sell (check first!) a sprayer that is an air charged cylinder that mounts to a glass jar that you put the paint in...instant spray paint! One brand for this unit is Prevall (spelling?) I watched a guy that used to do interior paint vinyl touch up repair for me when I did Insurance restorations on cars use these. Worked great, put a lid on the jar and store the paint. Hope this gives another possibility! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    Thanks for all your replies! I will take my piece in for color matching tonight. I assume you applied the paint with a brush, does it leave any brush marks? Do I need to do any surface prep?
    Scott
    I used a brush and it is pretty smooth...its bandsaw ..not a vintage car

I have also found that HD is very good at color matching. I had them match a red that was not a common shade and they did a perfect job.

Having said that, if I wanted a really smooth finish I would also second what Jim said. Go to an automotive paint store and have them match the color and spray it on. You do not need a high end automotive gun for what you are going to do. I have a couple of them but get very good results with a primer grade gun. They are not very expensive just in case that you do not already own a gun.

A couple of months ago I painted some indoor shutters, primed them with Kilz and shot right over it with automotive paint and they came out great. I used a two part paint called Concept but I think that a good enamel would be just fine. You might get the paint dealers idea on what he thinks that you should use.

I made a mobile base for my wifes' Delta Scroll Saw and painted it using Valspar Premium Decorator Enamel Grey (#28861). It's almost an identical color match to the scroll saw.

Got this from a Home Depot review.I'm restoring a Delta 14" Bandsaw..
    Review 2 for 15 oz. Gloss Dark-Machine-Gray Protective Enamel Spray Paint Rustoleum Brand.

Woodman
    North Carolina, USA
    65 or over
    , Male

• Pro

The is a great restoration product

January 21, 2012

Coverage

Low odor

Value

Recommended Product

This very good Quality paint. I restore and repair old Rockwell Delta machinery. This paint color is a perfect match for the factory paint and sometimes blends so well that the whole machine does not require painting.
    The light machine gray is a match for the newer Delta machinery.

Plus 1 to Johnny. I did it the simple way. Rustoleum makes spray paint it 'light machinery gray' as well as 'dark machinery gray'. I think I used the light gray for my 20 year old band saw. Got it at HD.

Rick P

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    Valspar Premium Decorator Enamel Grey (#28861)
    Delta has used seveal different gray colors over the years, but I can confirm that the Valspar spray can paint available at Lowes is an exact match for the more recent "Delta Gray" paint color.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Plus 1 to Johnny. I did it the simple way. Rustoleum makes spray paint it 'light machinery gray' as well as 'dark machinery gray'. I think I used the light gray for my 20 year old band saw. Got it at HD.

Rick P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    Delta has used seveal different gray colors over the years, but I can confirm that the Valspar spray can paint available at Lowes is an exact match for the more recent "Delta Gray" paint color.
    Recently picked up a Delta table saw (36-979) off of CL and it was in need of a little rust cleaning and painting, specifically around the legs and leg supports. Just went with a standard Valspar black gloss for the supports, but wanted to make sure the gray for the legs matched the sides and the saw base so I wouldn't have to paint sections that were good to go. Using the quoted info above I started my search. HD doesn't seem to carry the Light Machine Gray in store, and you can buy it online in packs of 6 only it appears. Lowe's website indicated it was in store, but it is indeed a special order item. Moreover, I could not find a matching Valspar color anywhere.

Finally I ended up at Grainger where they had some in stock. Went with the Rust-oleum Light Machine Gray Industrial Enamel (Item# 5H904, Model# V2183838, UNSPSC# 31211507, http://www.grainger.com/product/RUST...ay-Paint-5H904) and I can confirm it is an EXACT match for the Delta gray. Meaning - I sprayed the sanded/polish foot edges of each leg only, and I can't tell where my spraying stopped and where the original paint starts.