Thread: Washing machine drain question

Blog Entries

Washing machine drain question

Has anyone ever heard of a back flow preventer for a washing machine drain stand pipe? Can you provide a link to one?

Added info:
    The drain is in the basement.
    It drains to a septic system.
    The top of the washer stand pipe is more than 18" above where the drain pipe leaves the house.
    The stand pipe has a trap to prevent gas back flow.
    The washer hose does not fit tight in the standpipe so it will not siphon.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-23-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Is the drain line for the washer below the level of the drain line for everything else in the house? That's the only circumstance I could see needing one in. Curious to know as well.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

You can look at back water valves. They do make back flow preventers for four inch main lines that you could adapt. Here is a link for you someone else posted on the Internet:

http://www.ndspro.com/images/stories...g-listings.pdf

As long as the end of the drain hose is above the outlet of the washer tub and you are draining into an open tub or wall drain I see not need for a back flow preventer. Only if the sewer is blocked will you get a back flow and it would likely drain on the floor before it went down the washer drain hose.

Blog Entries
    I remember one kind of similar item from back in the 1950s. Only reason I know about them is my dad used to sell Maytag and Fridgidaire washing machines. They worked as a vacuum break so the washing machine couldn't suck water back in from the drain.

Different plumbing could cause problems with a washing machine.

Sounds like what the OP may be talking about here may also be known as a check valve.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A back-flow preventer is available but I wonder why it is needed. The trap is a possible problem because it is a spot where friction will retard the flow. Traps must be plumbed with, "street elbows" that reduce friction. hope this helps.