Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chain Saw Recommendations

Chain Saw Recommendations

I have a bit of area to clearcut and am wondering what chainsaw you folks recommend. My little Husqvarna 435 seems overwhelmed by the experience. All the green is honeysuckle and some of the trees are very large in diameter. All two acres needs to evaporate. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Regards,

Rich

DSCN0261_132.jpg

I have 2 saws both are Stihl. The smaller saw is what they cal a homeowner saw but it is a little demon 025 model with an 18" bar. I picked up a second Stihl 044 70cc saw 2 years ago used off Craigslist for $350 and it is a serious professional saw that will cut through anything I throw at it. It has a 20" bar and I have cut some huge trees with it. It never bogs down and just eats wood like it is never full. The big secret I learned wit chainsaws is keeping the chain very very sharp. If you touch the ground with a running chain it will need immediate sharpening. With an extremely sharp chain even a smaller saw like my 025 can eat some pretty big trees. Learn how to sharpen your chain correctly and you will never have problems cutting any of that 2 acres you need to clear.

Thanks Michael. Sounds like you're saying operator error not ineffective tool.

Do a google on Bailey's. They are a great source for saws, chains, and anything else you will need. Their chains have hardened teeth, and cut better than the original equipment chains.

A pro quality Stihl or Husqvarna in the 65 - 70 cc range will cut darned near anything you want. They are the sweet spot of big enough to get the job done but light enough not to tire you out too quickly. As said, a sharp chain is everything. IME Stihl chains are the best (and I have mostly Husqvarna saws).

John

To make room for a bigger pool?

I'm no expert (far from it) and love chainsaws (especially those made by Stihl), but not sure I would try to clear 2 acres with a chainsaw. Don't you need something a bit larger? Like a bulldozer?

Steve

A Stihl 290 or a Husquvarna 455 will be all the saw you will need and will last years after the 2 acre clearing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Here are pictures of what I am clearing through this entire spring/summer to offer an idea of the task at hand. Your recommendations of a farm-rated saw have proved interesting reading. You can somewhat get an idea of the slope involved and realize any sort of machinery can not function on this grade.

Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.14.34 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.19.10 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.20.24 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.21.34 AM.jpg

Had to use screen shots because photos have a difficult time loading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stihl MS290/MS029 Farm Boss.

I can't help with a saw recommendation, since mine is a Homelite from the early 1970's. Heavy and LOUD!

But I did want to second Michael's advice about sharpening. That may be why your saw doesn't seem up to the task.

If you don't have a file or two, get them and learn to sharpen free hand. With practice it will take you just a few minutes to do the chain, and with all that wood to cut, you'll need to sharpen often. I usually touch up the chain every time I fill up, but then all the sand in the juniper bark out here dulls a chain really fast.

The other option is to have a bunch of spare chains and get them sharpened. Being cheep, I like to file them, they last longer Sharpeners take off a bunch of tooth (couple times and they can sell you a new chain ).

+1 on sharpening. Also possibly look at a different chain. There are several different pitches available for most size chains. Is there a sharpening shop in your area? Maybe talk to them and see what they have to say. I know I prefer Oregon chains to others. Stock chains I usually replace quickly. Just don't seem to hold up, IMO.

When was the last time the air filter was cleaned? Saw may just need a good maintenance cycle and new chain. Just a thought.

Be advised that more aggressive chains usually have a higher risk of kickback.

Oregon has a chain selector tool on their website - http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/lo...USA&LangId=ENG

Based on the pics you submitted, it doesn't appear to be anything that saw couldn't handle. Specs say it is a 40.9cc engine and capable of up to an 18" bar. I have a Husqvarna 350 and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Great saw for me.
    Drew

What is the diameter of what you are cutting?

Stihl, one of the best saws out there for the money. I have the Farm Boss, so does my dad. I think dad's is over 10 years old now, still easy to start, still cuts like new. Dad's saw has also seen a lot of action over those 10+ years; clearing, seasonal cutting for firewood. Not sure exactly how many rick's of wood his has cut. We had Poulans, Homelites, even McCullohs in the past one of the biggest things we noticed at first was how long you could cut without ever touching the original chain.
    I do have some experience with Husquavarna and I will tell you that for a little more money you get a lot more saw with a Stihl!!
    Father-in-law has a Husquavarna and brother has one, neither of those saws start or perform as well as the Stihl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Here are pictures of what I am clearing through this entire spring/summer to offer an idea of the task at hand. Your recommendations of a farm-rated saw have proved interesting reading. You can somewhat get an idea of the slope involved and realize any sort of machinery can not function on this grade.

Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.14.34 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.19.10 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.20.24 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 9.21.34 AM.jpg

Had to use screen shots because photos have a difficult time loading.
    That looks a lot less like chainsaw work to me and more like renting a skid steer with a bush hog on the front. Thats a days worth of work with that machine, weeks worth of back breaking labor with a chainsaw.

Agree with the others, even a small well tuned saw, a good lesson in sharpening, and you'd be fine. Its not uncommon to re-sharpen several times a day.

bradcogroundshark.jpg

I have chainsaws of all sizes, as well as all sorts of other small equipment, up through tractor implements. I wouldn't tackle that with a chainsaw. I'd use a clearing saw, sometimes called a brushcutter. It's like a giant string trimmer with a sawblade. Mine is a Stihl FS450K. You won't want to invest that much in one for a couple of acres, but look at the largest size stringtrimmer Stihl sells now, and a brushcutting blade and guard for it. I think it's a model FS120, but that's just by memory.

I have a FS110 that we use for weeds. They say you can put a blade on a 110, but I wouldn't want to. I don't think the next larger size is that much more.

Once you have it all cut down and disposed of, spray new shoots that come out as soon as you see green. I'd try Roundup, but you may have to go to Arsenal to kill it.

The skidsteer tip is a good one. If you can rent one with tracks, and a cutter like the one in that picture, do that.