Thread: The Verdict is in!!!

Thumbs up The Verdict is in!!!

In response to a question posed on SMC by Bill Bulluch about being able to clean Beall buffs that had gotten pretty dingy and loaded up over a few years, I decided to go out to the shop and get mine, because I had been thinking about it for a few weeks off and on.............so I just adopted the NIKE thing, and just did it!

Did what you might ask, well I put them in the washing machine and then the dryer..........well the verdict is in on whether it can be done and not shred them to pieces. To put it like my dear departed grandpa used to say........."looks purt near brand new!" Well, they are clean for sure.......all the old tripoli, white diamond and carnuba wax is gone. The carnuba buff has a little bit of a ragged edge, but I figured I would have to true them up like I did originally when I first got them anyway, so as far as I am concerned.......this experiment is a success!

Anyone wanting to get your Beall buffs in shape, well a good washing with hot water and detergent will do the trick.........when drying, I did not use any type of fabric softener, just to be on the safe side!

The ink stamped on the sides .......tripoli, white dia, and wax were washed off, so you might want to take a sharpie and identify which is which just so you don't get them mixed up during a project.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-24-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have been wanting to try that when I catch the wife is away.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Roger U da Man. We have my daughter and her 3 children visiting at the moment, so the washing machine is running 24/7. As soon as they leave my wheels have dibs on the machine.

You might be careful or cautious when trying this, sometimes there is a ring of residue left near the top of the tub inside of the washer. Open the lid and bend over for a closer examination. But usually you can just get a sacrificial rag and wipe it away, paper towels work to.
    Just clean up any evidence you may leave behind, don't need any more trouble with the warden!
    If she pulls some of here delicate's across that "grungy ring" you are gonna be in trouble once she puts 2 & 2 together!!!!!!!

Roger, how do you true them up?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Kelly View Post
    You might be careful or cautious when trying this, sometimes there is a ring of residue left near the top of the tub inside of the washer. Open the lid and bend over for a closer examination. But usually you can just get a sacrificial rag and wipe it away, paper towels work to.
    Just clean up any evidence you may leave behind, don't need any more trouble with the warden!
    If she pulls some of here delicate's across that "grungy ring" you are gonna be in trouble once she puts 2 & 2 together!!!!!!!
    Our washer is a front loader...........I looked at it and no ring of residue left. Other loads of laundry done this morning showed no problems at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Roger, how do you true them up?
    Before, when they were new, I used the edge of a board and then 80 grit sandpaper. This time I think I am going to try a piece of an old bandsaw blade.........it won't take much to get it into shape............I could probably go ahead and use it like it is if I wanted......only the carnuba wax wheel needs a little touch up.......it is the softest of the three wheels anyway, if you recall.