Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the clearest finish/sealer?

Bill, that sure is strange; exactly opposite of what would be expected for light aging of the finish or underlying wood. Very strange that only the underside of the top yellowed while the sides look the same inside and out. I'd have to guess something else is at play, but I'm at a loose to even guess what it might, since you said the chest is empty.
    John

New member- learning the ropes..

For clarity it would be hard to beat shellac- Mix it from dry flakes with alcohol or go to the store and pickup Zinsser sealcoat which is dewaxed shellac or Zinsser regular shellac in either Orange or "clear" which is known as Blonde Shellac to shellac users. No finish complements the wood better- but it does come with a slight amber tint. So if your priority is non yellowing, then shellac may not be ideal- but if you try it, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. Won't win the durability contest but probably much more durable than most people think it is. After all, shellac was heavily used as a floor and trim finish in the early 1900s and a lot of it still looking decent today. Just a thought- worth your time to experiment with it. I'm sure I am not the only shellac lover in this group.

Dave Macfee