Thread: For the wall

For the wall

διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Welcome back, David.

Not that it's part of the subject and I'm derailing your thread on the first post, but I attempted to buy chalcendony on ebay a couple of weeks ago and ended up with a fairly hard travertine slab instead. As I was fiddling with it, being that travertine sheds a little and I think I got it stopped by using oil with it, I though "the only person would know how dumb it was to not check the title of an ebay listing and end up with travertine instead of chalcedony would be David Barnett".

It is not the equal of a real jasper!

"The Chart of Handtools" does not hold up under scrutiny. For example, paring chisels are listed under Carving Tools.
    AKA - "The human termite"

That's Nasty Mr. Barrett. The diagrammatic poster brought back suppressed horror memories of Mrs Schaeffer's 7th and 8th grade twice a day English classes. I think it was 7th grade where one of the periods each day was devoted to diagramming sentences for too too too many months. It makes me cringe to this day.

On the other hand, the tools poster is nice.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Big fan of the wrestler chart. Harley race is on it twice!

I was going to say that Tugboat isn't on it, but found him, too, and the only thing off the top of my head that I can't find (quickly) is Demolition. I'm sure I could think of more, but that's a great chart for me and the other two vintage wrestling fans who may be on here (always liked wrestling better when guys brought their own gimmicks and cut their own promos without being scripted).

That site actually has a couple of really cool beer poster/charts which will definitely end up in my shop. (Of course my shop contains part of my brewery, but that's a different story...)

A bit off the subject but still in the ball park.
    I worked with a talented artist who was also one of our mechanics. When we went through the shop and spruced it up (we had daily visits by customers walking through so we wanted to put a pro looking foot forward) . . .

He made nice pen and ink drawings of tools that all work stations had in common then shrank them on a copier so they looked extra sharp then printed them on stick on labels. Then we stuck them on the tool boards where each tool hung.

The gist of it was you couldn't see the label for the tool so the boards didn't look cluttered. When a tool was removed from the board then one could identify what was missing by the little drawing and where to replace it.

Eliminating the unsightly magic marker line drawn around the tool often seen in other shops.

Simple and brilliant really.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-25-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I saw that a while back. For unknown reasons, I was bothered by the wedge being upside down in the molding plane.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice