Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Suggestion on CNC Machine

Your Suggestion on CNC Machine

I like to first introduce my self my name is Junior i am a dog trainer here in North Carolina due to the economy its hard to make a penny. I was first looking at laser etching machines but after speaking with Mr Keith the owner of Saw mill creek he easily convinced me to get a cnc machine wow is all i can say thank you Mr Keith

My next guestion is what would those that have a CNC machine recommend for to start out with. I am wanting some thing a decent size as to not later have to purchase some thing bigger. I am wanting to do etching on mirrors, wood , drinking glasses ( mugs / circle objects ) and regular glass along, with plexiglass.

If those have a recommendation will you please post the web site thanks

Junior, you will find that folks have their own preferences. Mine is ShopBot. I have two of them and am very happy both with the machines and the support. I don't know where in NC you are, but ShopBot is located in Durham. It might pay you to drop by and visit with them. I'm sure you could learn a lot more about CNC's, whether you decide to go with that company or not.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

Hi Bill Munroe thanks i am in Greensboro NC Durham is not that far from me about 1 hour away if that depending on traffic. Thanks i will take a look at ShopBot

Junior, what is your budget? Turn-key CNC's run from fairly inexpensive (relatively speaking) lightweight hobby machines to very expensive commercial grade machines. From your glass etching descriptions it sounds like a laser might be better suited to your needs.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Bruce Page thanks. My budget well depends on what is out there but not wanting to spend a large amount of money. I want to do mirrors glass and drinking glass and wood as most of it will be putting items such as race cars, air planes, boats, pictures of all sorts of animals you name it along with portrates of people I would like the basic for a turn key cnc as i would like to have a decent size so not to have to later on purchase a bigger one.

Mr Keith told me that with lasers engravers you got to make sure to have a exhaust fan leading to out side. As i am wanting to set up at a flea market and im sure they would not like for me to cut a hole in the wall or roof for to leave the gases out.

He also stated you can do a lot more with a CNC machine and CNC machines are less expensive than laser engravers

So to answer your question shortest some thing that i wont have to turn around in 6 month to buy again. Looking at about $10,000 or less. Unless some one wants to adopt me lol

oh crap i deleted some thing by accident sorry about shopbot who posted about this please re post thanks

Hi Bruce Page thanks. My budget well depends on what is out there but not wanting to spend a large amount of money. I want to do mirrors glass and drinking glass and wood as most of it will be putting items such as race cars, air planes, boats, pictures of all sorts of animals you name it along with portrates of people I would like the basic for a turn key cnc as i would like to have a decent size so not to have to later on purchase a bigger one.

Mr Keith told me that with lasers engravers you got to make sure to have a exhaust fan leading to out side. As i am wanting to set up at a flea market and im sure they would not like for me to cut a hole in the wall or roof for to leave the gases out.

He also stated you can do a lot more with a CNC machine and CNC machines are less expensive than laser engravers

So to answer your question shortest some thing that i wont have to turn around in 6 month to buy again. Looking at about $10,000 or less. Unless some one wants to adopt me lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post

The items you list (glass, mirrors, etc.) can't be done on a CNC machine... that's laser territory there. Wood can be done on either, but on the laser it's generally very 2-dimensional (engraving images) and on CNC it's very 3-dimensional (but significantly less detailed than a laser).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

In order to us the machine you choose, you will need some sort of software, like CAD/CAM to prepare the files for use. Some software can get pricey, so keep that in mind. Then of corse, you need to know how to use the software. If there is anything out there that is cheap and easy, I haven't found it.

John

You might find it interesting to read over the wiki for the ShapeOko, an open source, hobby-level CNC router/mill (ob. discl. I wrote, found or edited a fair bit of the wiki).

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It will give you an idea of the basics and principles and the capabilities of a machine which is intended to be especially affordable / a good value.

It also has what I hope is a thorough listing of open source / free CNC-oriented software (if I've missed anything, please let me know --- please note though that some things which seem ``free'' are listed on the Commercial page 'cause of license issues).
    Last edited by William Adams; 03-25-2014 at 7:44 PM.

Wow Dan Hintz now back to my original thought and the first thing i was looking at was the laser etching machine. Thank you so much as the mirrors glass and drinking glass wood are my main things i am interested in doing things on. Also ive seen a video on YouTube that you can also laser etch clothing. I think i am going to go with the laser etching machine. Just got to find a good company to go to other than i think it is Rayjet and the other one is Trotec.

I see smoke coming out my ears now Some one help me lol

John McClanahan i am going to use Corel Drawl. If there is anything out there that is cheap and easy, I haven't found it. When you do let me know as with any thing that can make your life easier they charge a arm and leg possibly 2 legs and 2 arms..

William Adams Thank you so very much i will differently look at that of your wiki

I think i am going to go with the laser etching just got to find a good decent company other than Rayjet and Trotec

Blog Entries
    Just got to find a good company to go to other than i think it is Rayjet and the other one is Trotec.
    Rayjet is a Trotec machine, not a different company...

John McClanahan i am going to use Corel Drawl. If there is anything out there that is cheap and easy, I haven't found it.
    If you want free, I find Paint.NET and Inkscape to be the best raster and vector programs out there...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yes Dan i find these Paint.NET and Inkscape to be the easiest as i have used them before.

Rayjet is a Trotec machine not a different company. Yes i know sorry i got them and another company mixed up as Rayjet sells sandblasting cabinets also

CNC engraving videos all over youtube Dan.

I think the real challenge here is the portability requirement. You want that machine level and square. Not exactly friendly to moving them all over the place.

I know Michael J Simpson had a portable Kronos Robotics machine about 2'X4' he built.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.