Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Suggestion on CNC Machine

I think you need to learn more about CNCs and what they are good for but if you're looking for a lower cost machine, I'd recommend one of the well supported kits in a 4x4 configuration. Although you can go smaller, being able to do full sheets (although not in the most convenient way) can be very important.

The machines you can look at: Joes CNC. CNCRouterParts. There may be a few new ones, but I haven't kept up after I bought my CNCRouterParts kit.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The items you list (glass, mirrors, etc.) can't be done on a CNC machine... that's laser territory there. Wood can be done on either, but on the laser it's generally very 2-dimensional (engraving images) and on CNC it's very 3-dimensional (but significantly less detailed than a laser).
    Using a laser is of course easier and much faster but you can engrave glass, mirrors and metal with a 3axis cnc. I use a floating diamond engraving bit on my cnc to do just that. The metal nameplates on award trophies are usually done with a small cnc like machine with a diamond engraving bit. It has it's limitations but for simple engravings, it works fairly well. I have engraved plastic acrylic with diamond bit and then backlit with a LED light. It looks really nice done this way.

If You are in North Carolina you could come to Columbia SC on may15 -17 and meet the fellows who are already doing this, there will be machines and show and tell Thursday presentations are on machines bits and use, Friday and Saturday are software (Vectric) done by the vectric fellows from England,, if you are going to get into this this will be a good opportunity to see it first hand,, Kieth Outten will attend as well.

Thanks James i will try my best to attend as i am wanting to learn how to do this on a cnc machine as i thing the work it produces is beautiful . I am in Greensboro NC area

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The items you list (glass, mirrors, etc.) can't be done on a CNC machine...that's laser territory there. Wood can be done on either, but on the laser it's generally very 2-dimensional (engraving images) and on CNC it's very 3-dimensional (but significantly less detailed than a laser).
    It sure can be done, with a little imagination. It requires a spring loaded diamond tip bit in the spindle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ywQklwBBps

Photos could be done this way on the back of a mirror also by just removing the coating one dot at a time like a CO2 does.

On something round is a little more difficult, but possible by using a 4th axis rotary. Would need a 4th axis for a laser too. The trick would be to have the correct profile (if any) for the glass. The spring loaded bit will compensate for some error. There is a cheap program ($25) that will take a 2D, 2.5D and 3D Gcode files and wrap it around a specified diameter to do this. It's called CNCWrapper. I, myself don't use it, because I know how to edit the Gcode, add a formula to calculate based on the engraving I want to wrap on the circumference. Advantages of using Gcode!

I would recommend a CNC router myself. If you use an open source controller program that runs Gcode like Mach3, then you will not be limited by propitiatory programs. There is allot of inexpensive programs out there to generate the Gcode needed to run on the machine.

I have done some very fine detailed Lithophanes in Corian using a 1/64" Ball End Mill on my CNC router in the past. With laser diodes added to it now, I can do some fine photo engravings on wood, back of mirrors, artist canvas and leather too. Now, I can even shade a 3D spindle engravings with it too. More to come as I'm experimenting all the time.

I'm not going recommend any particular brand of CNC router because how much you can spend will determine your decision. Size? The 39" X 25" capacity of my Servo K2CNC machine is larger then any project I have ever done in the last 8-1/2 years since I purchased it new.
    Last edited by Jeff Woodcock; 03-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    40 Years exp. Master Machinist
    The information I received here was of absolutely no value, so I will not be a contributor any longer!!
    Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925
    Mini 445nm Laser Diode Engraver
    Kubotek KeyCreator/KeyMachinist Ver. 12.0 2D/3D CAD/CAM
    Picengrave Pro 4 + Laser Ver. 4.2.6
    PicLaser3D V1.0.0 -3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

I have done plenty of work in the Greensboro, high point and Thomasville areas, 2.5 hour drive along with that I did the discovery channel show "Outcast Kustoms" in Mooresville !

here are the details, Send me an Email mcgrew 636 at msn dot com and I will do something cool for you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you so very much Jeff Woodcock. Im on the edge of a laser and a cnc machine im thinking of the cnc machine first as it seems to be less expensive threw shopbot

If you are on a tight budget you might also opt for looking at used machines as well (either CNC or laser).
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

James i emailed you privately thanks

Bill ive been looking at both laser and cnc used machines on the web sites that i know of and those that others have posted about Thanks