Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: robust american beauty lathe

robust american beauty lathe

I`ve pretty much decided on the roust american beauty and am looking for feedback from owners as well as other points of view before investing $7400

I have had mine for 3 years and do not regret the purchase.Love the sliding headstock,adjustable legs, the tilt away feature on the tailstock and the 3 horsepower motor.Best of all it is made in America by the owner of the company.

Jim, I've had mine since Oct of 2011 and still am thrilled every time I use it! Asking for a point of view will limit the responses because it is not specific... What would you like to know?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I know a couple of people who have one. Not one has said "I wish I'd bought a (fill in the blank)". I'd be tempted if I didn't have PM 3520, which is not better but good enough for me.
    Regards,
    Dick

Jim. I say pull the trigger and don't look back. It's one of the best lathe's out there and will last you a lifetime.

Congratulations. I'm jealous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

We were talking about lathes this morning at the coffee shop. We agreed that you only live once. Do it!
    WOOD SNIPER-Start off slow, then taper off

I bought my long bed version going on 2 years ago. It is a wonderful machine. Excellent ergonomics, power, and convenience. IMHO they don't get any better and dealing with Brent and Deb is one of the best buying experiences I ever had. It will be a purchase that you will never regret.

I've had a look at those lathes. They weren't available when I was looking. Now I've got a oneway and I'd say the robust is a step up so get on with it and buy it. When you're talking that level of quality you can't go wrong. That is unless in 6 months you find you don't like turing and then you sell it for half of what you paid for it... YMMV
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by William Tanner View Post
    We were talking about lathes this morning at the coffee shop. We agreed that you only live once. Do it!
    When I was 17 my dad decided hell or high water I was going to get a lathe. I was obsessed with turning at that time and we had some pretty serious arguments on what lathe I wanted, to the point where I told him to stick it... But he persevered, I remember him saying you're getting a lathe whether you like it or not, and he then bought me the lathe I wanted. When he died, about 25 years later, my share of the estate amounted to just enough to upgrade and buy a oneway lathe with accessories... He only lived once and many years later I still have the lathe (I kinda regret selling the first Delta lathe). I ain't giving it up for any reason. I don't care how much it cost, it's coming with me when I move to England.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 03-26-2014 at 9:08 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Jim I don't own a Robust AB but I've spent several hundred hours turning on one a friend owns. I would not hesitate to buy one in a minute if I the available funds for it. I've turned numerous large logs 300 plus lbs on it some weighing near 500 lbs. The AB handled them like a dream.
    Go for it if your able.

If you are used to cast iron for your lathe, the AB will make 'different' sounds when you turn. The best sliding headstock lathe available. I have the extended bed model, and 3 hp. Had it for 5 or more years, can't remember, but for sure, a step up from my PM3520A. Brent is excellent to deal with, manufacturing quality is excellent, design is excellent.

robo hippy

Ditto to the other comments. I've had mine for a couple of years and love it. I had a 3520B but just wanted to try something different. The Robust people are fantastic.
    TB

I've had mine for a couple of years and love it. It is very well designed and a joy to use.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

thanks for the great input, I`ll be ordering mine in one month. Can`t wait until then I`ll put up with my jet 12-20

Blog Entries
    I love mine...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5