Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knew concepts fret saw

knew concepts fret saw

Well I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the Knew concepts fret saw, as well as the cocobolo handle from lee valley this week. My first impression of the saw is wow why did I wait so long!Night and day over my old fret saw. The handle is as most say a lot to be desired . I did pick up the replacement handle . Yes its a boat load of cash for a handle and yes you pretty much have to destroy the old handle to replace it with the upgrade. I will however say man does it look and give the saw a whole different feel given that it is cocobolo which at the present time retailing for 50.00 a board ft and it has a nicely machined hunk of brass on it its most likely costly to put together it was however pretty hard to stomach the price tag. Now that its on the saw I don't regret buying it but wow!!!!

photo (4).jpg

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I have the 5" saw in titanium, before the birdcage (?) design - I too love it.
    Since I do some hack metal work and turn, and have a bunch of suitable exotics, I may give it a go ( handle upgrade ) myself.
    What I wanted to say is you only regret spending the dough for the saw and upgrade once; grin on your face every time you pick it up and use it : priceless.

Dave it sure does put a smile on your face when you pick it up it has a great feel. the new handle fills your hand where as the stock handle was kinda loose...give me couple hour to get over the sticker shock and I will be a very happy camper lol!!

I bought the saw as well, cocobolo handle. But the first time I tried to use it, I over tightened the blade. From then on, I could not get it to tighten up properly and the blade was bowed and not under proper tension. It did not cut well. I finally called Knew Concepts. Lee, the owner answered. After only a few seconds, he realized what had happened. I told him straight away that I was at fault. I had overtightened it and deformed the frame at the point that pulls the blade tight. I asked how much to fix it. He said no charge, that he stands behind the saws even if I screw up. All I had to pay was shipping. I sent him my saw and asked him to fix it please...

A few days later, he calls and says he looked at the saw and discovered the problem. I was using a blade that was too long. This caused me to over tighten it to try to get proper tension. He fixed the frame and it would be ready to ship back. When I got off the phone, I decided to order the proper blades from his site. He shipped back my saw and the blades for the same shipping costs as the blades alone.

When I got the saw back, it was flawless. Perfect tension. Lee went above the call of duty in my book. I was more than willing to pay for my error. Thank you Lee, great job and great saw.

Well then im Really glad I got one !!! nothing like an American made tool with a company that stands behind there product 100% That's awesome I hope I never have to call him but its good to know!!

Robert, how do you replace the handle? Do you have to drive that pin through somehow? I've been tempted to get one of the nice handles, too, but can't figure out how to get the existing one off.

Thanks!
    Kevin

Kevin,

I've replaced these handles 3 times. The first time I drove the pin through. It wasn't easy, and I was very nervous about damaging the saw in the process -- it required a whole lot of banging. The second two times, I cut off the ferrule with an old, beater chisel as Elkhead instructs, then I split the handle with the same chisel. Once the handle was split and removed, I was able to easily remove the pin with a pair of pliers. This method was FAR easier for me.

Good luck.

I did it similar to how David did it I cut the Metal ferrule and about half way through the handle with a metal cutting wheel on my dremel tool then I was able to split the handle off pretty easy I didn't want to pound on the saw with a chisel and a mallet . I was able to do the whole job with just hand pressure then like David i pulled the pin with a pair of pliers. the handle does come with instructions but i found what I did very effective. The new handle is a nice snug fit so be sure it seats in the grove properly !
    Last edited by Robert Culver; 03-27-2014 at 9:38 PM.

For those with the Birdcage fretsaw, here are some points about a handle to consider when using one:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...geFretsaw.html

My recommendation is that the Bird Cage works better with a longer handle for a two-handed grip.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-28-2014 at 5:28 AM.

Thanks, David and Robert, will give one of the new handles a try.

Kevin

Anyone wanting to make or add new handles to a KC saw, here is a pictorial I put up on my website today:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...sForTheKC.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I know this is an old thread but I just bought the aluminum version of the KC woodworker's 5" fret saw. Wonderful little saw. And made in the USA. And thanks Derek, I plan to turn a new handle for it!

Blog Entries
    I have that saw. It is worth every penny I paid for it!

Blog Entries
    Here is another happy owner of a Knew Concepts Fret Saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought the coping and fret saw. Both worth it!