Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kane View Post
    Dead Man's Penny

One of our more interesting jobs was to create a plaque using Irish Bog Yew for a customer who wished to mount a 'Dead Man's Penny'.
    Those commemorative 'pennies' were awarded by the British Government to families of people killed in the First World War.
    In the case of our customer the dead soldier was born in Co. Mayo Ireland and the profile of the piece of bog yew we used approximates the shape of County Mayo.
    The attached image shows the final product in our customers home.
    Attachment 288184
    Thats Awesome, love the bog yew piece you got.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Kieth, very nice work. What type of material are those signs?
    Brian Saban

Epilog Laser Mini 24/40w, Quattro air filtration system
    Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer
    X-Carve CNC 1000
    Vacuum Former Table
    And to much more fun stuff in the shop to list

Brian,

The last group of signs I made for Saint Mary's School were made from Dupont Corian. The panel insert for the Victorian post was laser engraved 1/4" thick Vanilla colored Corian. The donor plaques installed inside the Waterfront Classroom were 1/2" thick Glacier White Corian.

There is a thread in the Sign Forum with more details about these signs and the source information for the company that I purchase the sign hardware.

I get some pretty diverse jobs, here's a couple more I'm doing..

Brain surgery drill bits-- I'm laser etching the company logo (hidden), part number and serial number on these...

And how about Captain America's shield?
    This is the actual shield used in the movie --I don't have it, but I needed the pic to digitize from...

What I DO have is its twin, a local guy is making an exact duplicate-- my job is to engrave the star in the middle (which isn't going to be ANY fun!)

It looks like it's 'cone' shaped, but it's actually a perfect partial sphere. Don't know who made it but they did a nice job!

I'll be engraving it later today (if all goes well)..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Kev,

I thought S.H.I.E.L.D. had its own manufacturing facility for making his shields? I didn't realize they were contracting out. Glad to see they are "buying American"

Quite the project!!! Looks pretty fun!

What machine are you doing the engraving with??

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I'll be engraving it on one of my 35 year old Vanguard 5000XT's, they have the necessary 4" table to spindle clearance I need. Holding the thing down is going to be no fun either...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Wasn't able to do it Friday, but I just got the shield done, took some pics in case anyone's interested--

Clamped down and ready to engrave on the newer of my 5000XT machines. I hate clamping stuff like this, it's always precarious at best.
    Had more Z clearance than I thought I'd have, which was good--

The star is laid out in 25 separate pieces so that all the engraving went downhill. I didn't want to risk having the depth gauge push the shield around the table going UP the shield.
    The gold vinyl, I've had since 1991, it's a thick brittle vinyl that works great as an engraving masking, to keep the depth nose from scuffing the aluminum.

Here the center section is done....

Next was the 'inner' star. The arc of the shield DID turn out to be a bit of a problem, I ran out of spindle Z-stroke before I ran out of shield to engrave.
    The fix was to lower the spindle head while it it was engraving. Fortunately the XT's head remains true while doing this!

And, she's done.

Washed up and ready for the customer, who'll be here any minute!

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Pretty awesome work Kev. You take on some pretty tricky jobs. Did you ever mess one up?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

"Did you ever mess one up?"

OMG, now that there is funny... !!

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Yea well I know we all mess some up but I meant a big job like the shield. Its a one of a kind job .
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Not long ago I engraved a pair of refurbished circa 1910 gas fired headlight enclosures for an old car and muffed one up. Fortunately a little brazing and another layer of copper plating took care of it... And 2 weeks ago I had to buy a whole cedar chest just to replace a sliding door I engraved in totally the wrong place. The door can be repaired but time was a factor. We've already sold the cedar chest as is, with the messed up door for what we paid for it, so other than the hassle of buying the thing in the first place it all worked out.

short version of a very long list....
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev

Impressive work.

I appreciate your mentioning a couple of flubs as I had two senior moments this morning with a couple pieces of silver for my jewelry store customer.

We'll see whether it costs anything as I let them off the hook on 18 pieces last week where they made the mistake.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7