Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pen

New Pen

Made one of these...

Brazilian Cherry and Ebony Baron Rollerball.

Adam,

This pen looks great. Where did you get the mechanisms from? I am in Australia and would like to get som.

Roger
    Kind Regards

Roger McIntyre
    (Babytoolman on the

Great job on the Baron----your pic came out real sharp.
    Thanks for sharing.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Stunning! Wow! That's Great!
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Now, that's the kind of elegance that I want to achieve Adam. Beautiful piece! How did you build your blanks? I have the wood...just need some guidance.

Thanks
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John, it's easy, really..

First take a board... half the thickness of a good pen blank, plus a little. I use 5/8" to be on the safe side. The board should be double that in width, plus a little for a bandsaw kerf plus smoothing, say 1 3/8". Make it extra long, like 10".

Take that board and cut it in half (crosscut). Place your veneer of choice inbetween the two pieces, and glue'er up. Let it cure, then make it all smooth and happy.

Cut it in half lengthwise on the bandsaw, perpendicular to the veneer. Joint/plane it smooth. Put another piece of veneer in the middle and glue'er up again.

Again, cure, make smooth and happy. Now the veneer should be a cross through the length of the stick. At this point make sure it's S4S.

Here's where a tablesaw jig is handy, or a good crosscut sled. Cut the stick crosswise in slices, however thick you want them.

Make yourself some veneer squares That'll fit inbetween the slices.

You're going to glue the slices together with a piece of veneer in between, but the slices should be rotated 45 degrees from one another (roughly). Just do it by eye. Glue them up by two's first, then four's, then eight's. You get the idea. When you have a spiny looking stick, put it on the lathe using spur drive/live center, and make it round. Then you have a round pen brick wall blank to do with what you want.

Roger,

I buy my Baron's from arizonasilhouette.com. They buy them from Berea Hardwoods. You can also get them from Woodcraft, but it's called the "Navigator".

Good explanation Adam. I'll give it a try tonight. Any recommendations on glue type? I have standard yellow, CA, Epoxy, and poly.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John,

I just used normal yellow glue.

Adam, that is a beautiful pen. I've been interested in segmented items for a while and with your great directions I think I can handle it and will be giving it a try soon

Thanks for sharing!!
    Dawn

Very nice work, Adam. I really like the Baron's, Navigators, and Jr. Gents. You did a great job on the segmenting. For curiosity, is it a fountain pen or roller ball?
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

It's a rollerball.

Adam: Nice pen. I really like the effect!! Do you have any pictures of the glue-up process?? I'm not fully visualizing how the blank is created?? Thanks!!

I'm working on another set of blanks and will take pictures. Check back in a few days.

A picture would be worth a thousand words.. and maybe an article..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator