Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting/engraving exotic woods

Cutting/engraving exotic woods

I have had some difficulty engraving dense exotic wood. Ebony and rosewood in particular. An fellow luthier said there is a product similar to a skin or membrane that facilitates having a clean, crisp edge to the cut when engraving this material. In particular it is so very dense that even a high setting on my 80W D-Win just scorches around the cut rather than going deeper. Even if I program more than one pass it seems to not help.

Does anybody have any ideas on this topic? Thanks

Len Laviolette
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 03-28-2014 at 2:06 PM. Reason: removed link to website

Hi Len;
    Welcome to the Creek
    Engraving any of the exotics such a ebony, rosewood, coco bolo- those that have a high oil content-are very difficult to engrave and cut. You have to run at low speed and high power and then you run the risk of flaming and fire (I once melted part of my laser head cutting ebony!!).
    An alternative is to run multiple cuts at a higher speed and change the focus between cuts. You still won't get a clean, crisp edge and I don't know of any membrane matrerial that would facilitate such a cut.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Hi Len,

Nothing to add regarding cutting exotic woods but I am sure someone will will be on you about linking to your website. You might want to remove it before a mod does. :-)
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Hi Len, Welcome to the Creek! I did remove your website, as it is against the rules as mentioned by Rich. I'm sure if you search through the many threads on exotic woods, you will find that nobody has much luck with ebony or rosewood. Take the advice from George, he is a wood expert.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    ...I don't know of any membrane material that would facilitate such a cut.
    My guess is he was talking about something to keep the inevitable smoke/oil residue off the surface.
    Note also that it was a "fellow luthier" saying this, so he's probably dealing with thin material if he's doing any cutting. I've cut 1/4" rosewood, but it takes a lot of cleanup afterward.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-28-2014 at 4:53 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks for the tip. I meant no disrespect.

Thanks George.

Thanks Lee.

In addition to what George said, I do engrave rosewoods often (not so much ebony,
    as it is ready to crack and split before it even hits our shores) and one thing that
    seems to help is washing it down with acetone immediately before engraving. It
    gets rid of the worst of the oils at the surface, at least temporarily. After a little
    while they will migrate right back to where they were.
    Not a miracle cure, but it helps.

Sometimes, ya just need good old fashioned motor driven cutter tools!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Sometimes, ya just need good old fashioned motor driven cutter tools!
    Yup. It's a very common meme that, just because you have a very expensive tool available, it's the best tool for the job. (Especially if it's a new very expensive tool. )

If you need 0.001" precision, sure, use the laser, but most of the time you don't. If the laser won't handle the material you need to cut, either because of size, thickness, or chemical incompatibility, rough cut it with a bandsaw or jigsaw and then trim it with a router: the laser is really good at cutting router templates from MDF or acrylic.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I know I'm way late to this thread party, but I just received a job to raster out both ebony and rosewood and inlay with either Abalam (?) or an acrylic version turquoise. My only option is to raster out the ebony or rosewood because it's an intricate design (a signature). Any suggestions?? I have a 45 w Full Spectrum Laser.

Air assist and or a noble gas is your friend. Higher power helps too. I've run rosewood with good luck at 150w. But not very many folks have access to that kind of power.

In my opinion you'll have only bad luck with ebony and not much better with rosewood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I tried cutting Ebony for a friend last year, it just turned to charcoal. A client of ours that does guitar work said he's heard people use Vulcanized Fiberboard in place of ebony. Apparently once you lacquer over it, it looks the same. It does cut nicely, but does look like paper chipboard in the form he brought it to us.
    170 watt pulsed CO2 laser from Vytek, 48x96" table
    90 watt XY galvo from Vytek
    32" hydraulic paper cutter
    30" Potdevin heated glue applicator with matching presser.