Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying golf clubs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Huffer View Post
    Mark

Truths about clubs.

All drivers weigh the same + - one gram. You can't feel one gram. A dollar bill weighs 2 grams.
    All irons are very close in weight from one set to the other.
    Irons are made two ways. Stay away from the sets without the recess in the back.
    Most clubs are also the same length.
    If your tall your arms are longer. If your short your arms are shorter. So in most cases most clubs fit.
    Buy a set you like the looks of. So you will hit with confidence.
    Pick a 3 wood and driver shaft that suits your swing speed.

Get a driver with more loft than normal. It's becoming the norm. Leave it in the bag and use it on the driving range.

Drive with a 3 wood. Your scores will be lower.

Put a rescue club or hybrid in your bag and use in for any shot that requires a 3 or 4 iron.

Buy used clubs and save a bundle.
    Great advice. As an occasional golfer, you should hit the club that you are most comfortable with. If you are grabbing a 4 iron for the first time that year, put it back in the bag.

Leave the driver in the bag. It is one of the most difficult clubs for a beginner to hit. I play a a fair bit of golf and there are days it is not kind to me. I just grab my 3 wood on the tee.

Find a club that feels comfortable to hit. Mine is a 5 iron. Make sure that you hit with this club as much as possible.

Half of your shots are on the green or next to it. Don't forget to practice this part of the game.

Play on a course that is a little forgiving. It's no fun to be in the woods, traps and water all day.

Above all...HAVE FUN. You're out there with your buddies

Oh yeah...A pro shop can lengthen a club a little by putting an extension in and re-gripping it. Not so cheap if you are doing all of your clubs. I'm 6'0" and right on the edge of needing longer clubs.
    Last edited by Dave Verstraete; 03-30-2014 at 8:42 AM.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"