Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building

Rod Building

Spring may arrive here in MN in the next couple of months (emphasis on MAY ARRIVE) and I'm debating trying my hand at building my own fishing rod. It doesn't look like there is much savings to be had by making your own rods, but it does seem like something I'd enjoy. I'd like to find a place that sells inexpensive components to see if I enjoy it before spending the money on higher end stuff. Anyone have any experience and sources for custom rod building? I'm looking at freshwater casting or spinning rods.

It looks like mudhole has a ton of stuff, but their blanks are pretty spendy. I'm not a huge fan of Ebay, but they did seem to have quite a few items.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    Spring may arrive here in MN in the next couple of months...
    Optimist!

I'll ask a guy I know. Did you look at Orvis?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Optimist!

I'll ask a guy I know. Did you look at Orvis?
    Sunday will be shorts and T-shirt weather at a whopping 60*, then back to the 30's again...

I looked at Orvis, but it looks like all they have is fly-fishing gear.

Woo hoo! Summer comes... and goes.

You may be right. I didn't look at them. It just popped into my head. A friend of mine may have a better suggestion. I may not see him until next week, though.

What about picking up some old used rods and scavenging parts? My father in law used to pick up fishing rods at garage sales. I don't know why because he didn't fish but I think there's a pile of them up at the cabin.

I made a few this winter, simple to do. There's a lot of videos on youtube. Look for other companies than mudhole.com, crazy shipping prices and they have a restocking fee when you return.

Dave, I guess I'm not positive, but I think the graphite has come a long way in the last 10 years or so. I'll definitely be hitting up garage sales this spring though.

Thanks Jeff, that was the feel I got from them as well.

Wes,

Try Cabela's, Jann's Netcraft, and Anglers Workshop. I use to buy most of my stuff from Anglers. They have various grades of components and house brand blanks.

EDIT: Looks like Cabela's is out of the rod building game, they use to have a great selection. Jann's has a good selection of complete kits, so that might be the place to go if this is your first go.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 03-28-2014 at 4:50 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I have about a dozen surf rods. I thought about building them myself, but amazingly it was cheaper to have someone build them for me, plus they look fantastic. I think its a labor of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    ...it looks like all they have is fly-fishing gear.
    Is there any other kind?

(sez the recovering bass addict...now a trout bum)
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I have landed a lot of salmon on rods I built myself, mostly from Angler's Workshop. The expensive graphite blanks are well worth it if you require a rod where you can feel what the line is doing. Also for fighting big fish, where you need backbone and the ability to sense what the fish is doing. This may not be of any use in bass fishing, where you basically just throw out a plug and reel it back in hoping something hits and when it does winching it in. Building your own rod adds to the enjoyment of the process. I would suggest looking at St. Croix for inexpensive rod blanks and Sage when you are ready to spend a little more money.
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 03-28-2014 at 8:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I built one (many) years ago, and it is a bit of a labour of love. Nothing quite like pulling a rod out that you made yourself. Plus if I remember right, you can do things lie getting the spine(s) in the blanks lined up which you probably won't get in an off the shelf rod.

The wrap can be your own design, the handle contoured like you want it to feel etc. For people used to making things, it would probably be a good experience.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

MN has four seasons:

1. Almost Winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still Winter
    4. Road construction

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Like Moses said, check out St. Croix. I have a few friends who build rods on these blanks and seem really happy with the money spent.

Funny,

I thought this thread was about an entirely different subject.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    MN has four seasons:

1. Almost Winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still Winter
    4. Road construction

Mike
    Sorry to correct you, Mike. As a former resident, I know for sure that there are only two: Winter and August.
    Regards,
    Dick