Thread: New Nova 1624-44

New Nova 1624-44

Hi everyone, I just bought anew "still in the box" Nova 1624-44 today from Woodcraft. They have them on sale for $899.99. No affiliation. My neighbor has one and another turner I know has one and I can`t wait to try out some larger pieces on it. I believe I will even try working up some stacked segmented pieces for it as my little Nova II just doesn`t have the oomph for that. I will post pic`s later. Man-o-Man I couldn`t be happier and thanks to the thread by Steve Harder on the variable speed motor change over I may wind up doing just that in August after my knee surgery.

Wow. Congratulations!'
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

enjoy...........

Question...why is it still in the box? Get that bad boy going and have fun...

Ok here are a couple of pic`s. Took me most of the morning and a little help from my neighbor to get it assembled. I can`t wait until the new chuck gets here next week and I can start turning on it! I have used my neighbors and fell in love with it. I think if I do the "variable speed" addition I cant see where I would need a larger lathe. Famous last words.

LATHE 002.jpgLATHE 004.jpg

I also have the 16-44 and love it. However I would be interested in the variable speed motor conversion if I could get the info on it . Maybe Steve Harder could post the info again. PLEASE

Chuck the thread is in this forum as follows: NOVA 1624-adding variable speed
    Just do a search and it will come up. I printed it out and made a copy.

THANKS Seems
    complicated but I may tackle it

I like mine, but would like to move the switch. My tool rack is beside the head stock, so it is a tight squeeze on start up to be out of the way of the spinning pieces. It gets harder once you rotate the head stock. I think this summer's task may be to add an extended cable to move the switch.

With the hybrid legs, you may find you will want to add some weight as the lathe can move a bit as it is not really heavy.

Dok,

I got mine back in the beginning of February and have been really enjoying it since then.. Also, I agree with Lloyd about the weight... Here's a picture of what I did (not a very good one but it gets the point across - Also, I've added another two bags of cement since the picture was taken).. It stays pretty still.

photo (175).jpg

cya,
    david

I have one for 3 or so years and love it. I do not feel I ned to go to the DVR, it only taks a sec or 2 to change the belt. An yes you do nee to add weight.
    I also feel I need to add a 2nd switch or move it. Do not like reaching over the lathe to shut it off. Enjoy

Well after a little over a week with this lathe and having borrowed the "Oneway Coring Tool" from my friend I must say I Like It!! It works great, a little shakey but not at all bad. I think I am going to mount it to a larger welding style table at the right height for me at 6'4" it`s a little short on the legs. However I am having a ball turning on this thing. Some bowl pic`s and perhaps some coring pic`s to follow.

I also have this lathe. I am 6'5" and have mine bolted to 6x6 treated posts to get it up to a comfortable height for me. I added a shelf made from 1 1/2" angle iron with 300 lbs of concrete to help with the out of balanced pieces. All of these add-ons have made this lathe a lot better for me.

I've had mine for about a year. I added a Rockler paddle switch at knee height at the tail end. I've gotten kind of proficient at changing belt speeds, but if I decide to go variable speed I likely will just pop for the DVR or maybe take a look at the Powermatic (assuming my damn ship finally comes in).

Larry