Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna IQ HHC Review

Laguna IQ HHC Review

Greetings. I’ve owned a Laguna IQ CNC for a few weeks now, and I’m very happy. I’m a CNC novice, and in no way a professional woodworker. But after months of searching the web for information, I’ve been surprised at how little there is out there. This post, I hope, will be helpful to those like me, who just want a taste before diving in. What follows is an account of my own experience as a newbie. It does not purport to be professional advice. But I suspect there are many people out there in my shoes, people wanting to get into the CNC world, and wondering what lies in store. So here goes.

I got the bug to try a CNC many months ago. I have no desire to make quaint signs for boating clubs. I want to make art. My own designs. Everything from foam molds for ceramics to guitars to printed circuit boards, aluminum faceplates for electronic gear, wooden cases, picture frames, templates for old-school woodworkers, architectural details, etc. I wanted no limits – just a machine that could cut whatever I design – across a large spectrum of media and genres.

So I started investigating available CNC machines. It’s impossible to do this on the internet without running into the Router Bob videos. He’s good, and so I looked at Laguna. I also looked at all the usual suspects at the entry level – Laguna, Camaster, Shark, Shopbot, generic Chinese routers on ebay, you name it. First, I found that there is surprisingly little information out there. I’m used to the pro audio world, where you can find extensive posts on every subtle variation of obscure capacitors produced over the last 60 years. But CNC? Pretty sparse. And if you have a BS detector, you can tell pretty quickly that half of it is trolling by manufacturers. (For the record, I have no affiliation with any manufacturer. I’m a nerd hobbyist in Arizona with no axe to grind. Hell, I wouldn’t even know how to grind an axe.).

I don’t have the space or electrical service to support a 4x8 CNC. I needed something small. So the Laguna IQ looked like a pretty good deal for the price. I checked and checked, but found little in the way of independent reviews except for the Ernie Martinez posts on this forum. Not a pretty picture. But I soon realized that his posts reflected the experience of a novice coming to terms with a new world, not necessarily a bad machine. I am also such a novice, so I soldiered on.

I went with the IQ. First, the main internet criticism seems to be that they are “Chinese.” Well, so is the MacBook Pro I’m using to post this. I’m an American guy, and I want to make stuff right here in the good old US of A. But try to get through a day without using a Chinese product, and you’ll be living in a cave. There are metaphysical debates online about how much of the machine is assembled in the USA and how much is made in China. You know what? I don’t care. I wanted the best deal for the money. (Admit it, so do you.) And I’m not so jingoistic as to think that all Chinese stuff is crap and everything made in the USA works great. Ever drive an American car made in the 70s or 80s? My iPhone seems to be a pretty good piece of kit. And the Chinese make a lot of stuff. I figure they might be good at making machines that make stuff.

So what are the other factors? First, I was totally turned off by the idea of spending thousands of dollars on a CNC just so I could hose clamp a Porter Cable hand router to the business end. I wanted a real spindle, with real variable speed. More on that later. I liked the idea of a water cooled spindle (especially running out of a garage in Arizona). And Chinese or not, the welded frame, the sheer mass of the thing, the all-steel construction really appealed to me. Bottom line: I couldn’t find anything that offered close to these specs within thousands of dollars of the IQ, apart from sketchy ebay sales of generic Chinese routers by sellers who I knew would disappear minutes after I gave them my PayPal account.

So after much fretting, comparative shopping and due respect to Ernie, I placed my order for an IQ HHC in late December. The delivery time was always a little vague. I was hoping for the first week in February, but it never happened. The first week in March, the truck arrived.

During those months of anticipation, I had another choice to make: Software. Faced with the reality that all this stuff is made to run on Windows, I swallowed my pride and installed that sorry OS on a partition on my Apple. (In every other area of my life – professional writing, music production, photography – the best software is made for OSX. In the CNC world, the ONLY software is made for Windows. I guess that when the market is small, developers have to try to capture the biggest share of it, even if it’s on a dying, inferior platform). The Laguna doesn’t run on Windows – the controller loads GCode straight off a USB stick. I LOVE that. But you gotta design and toolpath on something. So I narrowed it down to Aspire or Rhino/RhinoCam. I downloaded demos of both.

Aspire seems like a great product. It’s incredibly intuitive. It’s user-friendly. It has great tutorials. But it’s $2,000. And the design features are seriously lacking. The entire presentation of the software is built around the aesthetic of a Kountry-Kitch’n sign company. So I tried Rhino. Rhino has the aesthetic I was looking for and all the user-friendliness of the guidance computer on Apollo 13. RhinoCam smacks of the Mercury project. But those guys went into space, slide rules and all. So I decided to climb the learning curve. It’s not over yet. But Rhino really can create anything, and I love that.

Rhino is completely impossible to grasp without training. I subscribed to Lynda.com, which has a pretty awesome Rhino 5 course. And I plunked down $1250 for RhinoCam, which got me a dongle. The most valuable USB stick I’ve ever owned, this thing is totally annoying. If you lose it, you’re out $1250. If you don’t have it plugged in at any single moment, look out. But such is life.

The simple fact is that I outgrew Aspire’s design capabilities within a few days of playing with the demo. I doubt I’ll ever truly master Rhino, but it can do anything I can imagine. Toolpathing in Aspire is so easy it’s fun. RhinoCam reminds me a bit of a DOS program. But it can do anything I need it to, if only I tell it EXACTLY what to do. Bottom line: Rhino is a lot less fun for a beginner, but you won’t outgrow it. Rhinocam is just plain time-consuming and frustrating for a novice. But it works inside Rhino, so at least the CAD and CAM are integrated. If money were no object, I’d try a Rhino/Aspire combo, but money is an object. At this point, I’m having a bit less fun than I would with Aspire, but I’m also really learning how to do this in a way that will let me make whatever I want in the future. Nothing worthwhile is easy…

Anyway, the truck arrived. Down it came off the liftgate, and the driver came with a pallet jack that got the crate into my garage. I had built a 48X60 table (which is actually barely large enough) out of 4x4s, 2x8s, double thickness OSB and a whole lot of ½ inch bolts. Ugly but solid. (I also made it 36 inches high – higher than most workbenches, but my back doesn’t get tired standing at the machine at this height). The question was how to get the machine up there? I thought about using 4 guys to just lift the thing, but the size of the table made me realize that it would be a trick even for 4 guys. Probably doable, but I really didn’t want to drop the thing. A rented Genie super lift, several 2x4s and 3 guys got the machine on the table with no stress or damage. Overkill? Perhaps, but this isn’t a refrigerator – it’s precision equipment.

It turns out that I got one of the new IQs – the only picture of it that I know of at this writing is on Router Bob’s Les Paul video. There are some differences between this one and the one I thought I ordered – all of them good. First, the electrical box is meant to be placed on the table, rather than on the floor. It has a speed control that allows variations in 60 RPM increments from 6000-24000 RPM. All the wiring was in place, except for the plug. While waiting for delivery, I wired 240/20A into the garage, and had the right plug ready to go. Second, the stepper motors are covered on the new unit – certainly looks better. Third, those stepper motors have a pulse equivalence of 320, rather than the 160 on the old IQ. Finer control – yay! Fourth, they say it’s faster and stronger than the old IQ. I believe it – I’ve mistakenly put those motors through some torture, and they never lose a step. Fifth, the touch-off puck is different. It doesn’t attach magnetically to the machine, and you have to plug it in every time you use it. Oh well. The last difference I can think of is the dust hood – it uses a 4” hose, and has a door that lets you change tools without removing the whole hood. Cool.

Everything about the machine was perfect when it arrived. The only issue I had was a leak in the water hose to the motor, which was fixed in a few seconds by tightening the nut. So far so good. (Living in Arizona, I filled the bucket with distilled water).

The toolbox that comes with the machine includes several collets and bits. Most of the bits are pretty weird – shapes I don’t expect to use. All are proudly labeled in Chinese. But there are some useful ones, including a 1.125 carbide flycutter. I bought the Laguna introductory bit set, which helped somewhat. But I was quickly online buying a bunch of bits for what I thought I needed.

So there it is. Glistening on the table. What to do now?

Well, the documentation that comes with the machine is very weak. There’s essentially nothing on the HHC controller, except the very basics. As in the setup video, there is the Laguna Tools sign cut into melamine. I flipped the board over, clamped it down, and inserted a ¼ endmill. I found the program, pressed the green button, and it ran like a champ. But wait…the depth of the carving seemed shallower, and some of the detail of the letters just wasn’t there. I never found the answer to this mystery. I have no idea if the program I had was identical to the one they had at Laguna, and no idea if I was using an identical bit. After weeks of using the machine, I can say there’s nothing wrong with it. So I moved on. I started making my own designs, which involved 2d and 3d machining. Wow! The precision of the machine was flawless. I was producing parts that felt like they had been sanded smooth.

Not that it was quite that easy. I made plenty of rookie mistakes along the way. The machine does EXACTLY what you tell it to. You don’t just say “make this.” Each toolpath needs to be double checked to make sure the right regions are selected, the speeds are correct, and above all, the cut levels are properly specified. Regions in Rhino can be curves, surfaces or surface edges. RhinoCam doesn’t like these equally, and it takes trial and error to know which to use for each toolpath type. It turns out that 2D machining is harder than 3D in RhinoCam. The software has tons of options, and is really very flexible. But you’d better know what each of the numbers in each of the various tabs means or you’re going to waste a lot of material. The model, coordinate system, stock alignment and work zero all need to be exactly right. 3D machining is pretty cool (and RhinoCam gives you many more options than Aspire). But you have to check the software. I had a frustrating experience for 2 days in which a program kept crashing the controller halfway through. The culprit? RhinoCam had computed the top Z movement at a little more that a hundered-millionth of an inch. The controller (understandably) couldn’t get that through its head. I changed that number to zero, and all was well.

Next was feeds and speeds. As a guy who had used a hand held router, my instinct said “get it turning pretty fast and move gently (slowly) through the material.” Wrong. It turns out that few tools can handle the high RPM the spindle can produce at any feed rate within the machine’s capabilities. After some trial and error, I find the machine has no trouble doing 125 IPM through hard wood, but it takes an RPM down to 120000-16000 to keep the tool happy. Ideally (according to the calculator) the feed rate would be much higher, but I haven’t pushed the machine that hard yet.

A word about Laguna itself. I read some scary rants on the internet by anonymous posters. My experience has been awesome. These people genuinely support their products. Pretty amazing considering that the machine only cost me $5500. They’ve literally spent hours on the phone with me – apart from the Router Bob training session. Why hours on the phone? Because I didn’t know what I was doing – not because there was a problem with the machine. Almost all of that time was devoted to learning the HHC. As I noted earlier, the documentation is terrible. A better manual, and I wouldn’t have been so dependent. But they stepped up and helped me. I now feel pretty competent with the thing. (Note – I found it helpful to adjust the table size on the controller. I shaved the X axis from 610 to 609, and bumped the Y axis from 1000 to 1025). For genuine customer care in this age of impersonal relations and cost-cutting, I have to give Laguna an A+.

This has been a long review. It hasn’t been easy to gain competence. But not one of my issues has been with the IQ. It delivers everything they promise, and I’m very happy with the purchase.

Welcome to the forum. The CNC world is great. Tell me the specs of your steppers and the individual drives of the IQ. What amperage are each of the steppers and what size and what holding torque? What POST are you using in Rhino? Can you add a 4th axis?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I wish I knew those specs, but I don't. My only experience is practical - even after mistakenly cutting through the aluminum T slots at 125 IPM, the cut continued with no observable error. Tech support told me that the stepper motors are improved over previous generations, and I believe it. I'm using the Laguna HHC post in Rhino. As for a 4th axis, I know of no upgrade. Too bad, I know.

I would like to hear an example of a 3-D machining project that Aspire was unable to accomplish but Rhino and RhinoCam successfully did.

Where there is a will there is a way on the 4th axis. We will get you there if it is ever needed. Congrats again!!

Here are some great Rhino tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SUDesig.../8/zx9Xg0lRhaw
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I would like to hear an example of a 3-D machining project that Aspire was unable to accomplish but Rhino and RhinoCam successfully did.
    As I said, Aspire seems very capable of coming up with a tool path for just about anything. It offers fewer choices than RhinoCam for how to achieve the goal. Some types of surfaces benefit from different toolpathing strategies - e.g., radial machining, and Aspire is more limited in that regard. As you move up the levels of RhinoCam, the number of choices grows even further.

Aspire and RhinoCam each have attributes that the other could learn from.

7. Peter,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful, detailed, and humorous review. I am considering getting into CNC and after a lot of online research was gravitating to the laguna IQ. I was a bit dismayed when I started looking for reviews that all I was finding was various rants. Most of the specific reviews on various tools were positive, while the generalized ones were just rants. Your review was refreshing because the comments were based on your experience and product specifics. I thank you for that. It was very informative. I also came to the conclusion that the software is a very big part of things as well as the hardware, so I am going to do more research into that as well. The expense of the software caught me a bit by surprise. It seems priced for commercial enterprise and not for hobbyists. I do know that there is an add-on for blender (blendercam - http://blendercam.blogspot.com/). Being a long time blender user for other modeling purposes I may look into that as well. It's open source, as is Blender. Being a programmer that may be an interesting way to learn what this type of software is doing, though I doubt very much if blendercam holds a candle to the two commericial products you mentioned. In any event, learning the software may be a good initial step before investing in the hardware.

I know people have various axes to grind, but I hate it when bandwagons develop that bash companies without a lot of real detail to them. The internet seems to make people much bolder when they think they are anonymous.

I was also glad to hear you got the newer IQ with a water cooled spindle and that you are happy with it. I watched most of "Router Bob's" videos, including the introduction of that model. It just seems like the best value out there. I am interested in building some basic instruments (lap steel guitars, and maybe take a stab at a solid body electric) so the basic sign carving CNCs just don't seem up to the job. I also don't need a 4x8 table in my garage. The IQ seemed exactly what I needed. I will continue searching for other people's reviews/experience with it but I was highly encouraged from this review.

Thanks again for taking the time to write it all down.

Glad it was helpful.

Since I wrote that, I've churned out many heavy parts, and the machine still works great. My only issue has been that the screw-on connector housing to the spindle isn't made out of the most conductive material, and the tool touch off can get intermittent if that connector housing isn't kept very clean. I've been really impressed by how powerful the steppers are - it takes a major screw up (like a tool path that doesn't know there's 2 inches of wood in the way of its entry) to get them to miss. Without such operator error, it's dead on every time.

Software is the key. I have to say that I've become much more proficient at Rhinocam, and it's pretty darn good. The key to avoiding surprises is to set the origin 4 times (Stock part box, Align World CS, Align Stock and Work Zero, in that order). Set those all the same (I use southwest corner, highest Z) and you're fine. The problem (like everything in the CNC world) is that the documentation for Rhinocam 2014 is basically nonexistent. If they would devote some time to writing a manual for new users, the frustration would disappear. Still, once you figure it out through trial and (lots of) error, you can do anything with it.

The other issue is fixturing. The machine is only as precise as the material. It guarantees accuracy from the top -- it guarantees nothing relative to the material. Few things I do would benefit from T slot clamps. So I've been using double sided blue duct tape from Amazon (I go through a ton of it and it's cheap), and it usually does the job pretty well. But imprecisions in material that I used to ignore can now be a major headache. If wood doesn't lay perfectly flat, the tape won't grab, and the piece wobbles under the stress of machining. Even a slight wobble is death to precision, so I've taken to facing all of my pieces before doing anything. If the tape loses grip along a certain axis, I shoot a little hot melt glue into the crack between the piece and the table, and all is well. Once I've faced a side, the tape grabs, and I can have confidence in the result.

I haven't had time to do a guitar body, but the projects I've been doing are even more complex. If that's your goal, this machine will grind them out all day long. Speaking of all day, it hit 100 in Phoenix yesterday. I ran the machine for 12 hours, and it never complained. The spindle barely got warm.

Nice review Peter but where’s the pictures? I hope the Laguna IQ keeps you happy for years to come. I researched CNC’s a couple of years ago and agree that the amount of information available is frustratingly sparse. I felt strongly after my research that I had made the right CNC choice but it was still a leap of faith.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Update: The steppers are 3A, 15Kg.cm units. The Z axis is driven by a small timing belt between the balls screw and the stepper. They don't look that big, but they seem to handle all my cuts without losing a step.

Since I wrote that, I've churned out many heavy parts

photos pls
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

I've been off the list for a while because of a move I haven't used my machine much. I'm about to start using it again for a project of mine and came back to the list to solicit some help. I posted a review last year of my experience with my Laguna and I had a completely different experience. I won't go into any detail here since you can search and find my review. Suffice it to say, I was not a happy camper, and regret the purchase to this day.

Ernie
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

As I said above, I read Ernie's review many times before taking the plunge.

To quote his review, "The machines weak points are, the spindle, controller, and the electronics. The frame is very well built, and the moving bits like the gantry, ball screws and rails are more than sufficient for a machine of this size."

To be sure, my machine is a newer generation than Ernie's. I have the 3HP spindle with the ER20 collet, which is very nice. Ernie doesn't like water cooling, I LOVE it. (I'm not sure why anyone would need an HSD spindle on a machine like this, but a water-cooled spindle is far preferable to a repurposed hand router or comparably-sized air cooled spindle).

I have the same controller as Ernie, and it works great. The documentation was lacking, but they've come out with a new and improved manual. Still not the one I'd have written for a novice, but more helpful. There hasn't been a single time when it has failed me or been unable to do what I (properly) asked it to do.

My electronics have been rock solid, except for a pesky ground connection that would make the auto touch off intermittent. Laguna talked me through it, and with the help of a couple feet of wire, I was back to rock solid in 30 minutes.

Feeds and speeds were an issue for Ernie. You can't cut hardwood at 150 ipm on this machine. But I don't need to. Feeds and speeds have been an issue for me too, because it's sometimes counterintuitive and seems a bit like a black art. I've had good luck with the FSWizard app, and I'm starting to get a much better feel for what works best.

All this business about Chinese components being evil is simply noise. Good luck buying any electro-mechanical equipment without Chinese components. Sure, I prefer to buy everything locally-sourced, but you can't buy an entry-level machine with all these qualities that's made in USA - they don't exist. And apart from my personal preference for locally-sourced goods, I have zero evidence that a Chinese factory is incapable of bolting parts together. In fact, my IQ is evidence to the contrary because it works flawlessly.

I don't hear anyone complaining that the ball screws come from Germany instead of the USA. My experience with a Mercedes was bad enough that I would prefer it had been made in China. (Of course, that car was made during the Chrysler era, but I digress). Again, while the anti-Chinese sentiment may be based on fairly-debatable macroeconomic policy views, it really has nothing to do with whether your $5000 CNC will work right.

As far as customer service, it sounds like Laguna was there for Ernie - they talked him through problems and when he was subjectively unhappy offered to take the machine back for a full refund. What else can you expect? They didn't send him to an international call center or tell him his problem wasn't covered by warranty. And like I've said, the level of attention and support I've received has far surpassed what I would expect from most vendors. (Try getting that level of support from Microsoft when you install WINCNC...)

Has this been painful and sometimes frustrating? Sure. I've spent hundreds of hours learning this new skill, but that's what it is - a new skill, not a plug 'n play consumer product. The fact that the machine works well does not mean that the material will cooperate, or that it's properly fixtured, or that the operator knows how best to program the machine to create a work of art. Much like a large-format mixing console, a wide-format printer, a darkroom, or any pro-level creative tool I've used, it is perfectly capable of producing garbage in the wrong hands. Turning my hands into the right hands has been a difficult pleasure.

Glad you're enjoying your machine.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

peter

are you still happy with your IQ CNC ? I also am in Phoenix area and thinking about getting the IQ