Thread: Old Plane made in the USSR

Old Plane made in the USSR

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and this is my first attempt at a post. I found an old plane amonst my father's belongings when cleaning up our old home. Woodworking was not one of my dad's talents. I guess he bought the plane to do something, did not know how to use it and put it away. My dad passed away 16 years ago. I am curious as to whether this plane is any good and worth spending the time to get it in good working order. the instructions are in what I think is Russian. Pics attached. USSR is in raised letters on the front of the assembly. Curious as to what your thoughts are.

Edit: zip file removed.
    Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-30-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added pictures

No reason that I can see this could not be a perfectly good user. Just a little attention needed. If is has not been used too much, it may be not need more than a de-rust and a tune-up.

I love obscure planes like this, but then I am a self-confessed tool addict.
    Last edited by Richard Krushner; 03-30-2014 at 2:53 PM.
    http://wudumann.blogspot.co.uk​

Blog Entries
    Howdy Bruce and welcome to the Creek.

In my opinion you should give it a sharpen and see how it does. Often non-woodworking folks would have a sticking door that needed a little work. Off to the hardware store to buy the least expensive solution. A few rough passes of their new plane would take care of the problem and then the plane goes back in the box and has a permanent resting spot on a shelf out in the shed.

Are you familiar with woodworkforums.com ?

I visit there at times.

jtk
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-30-2014 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Removed active forum link.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If it was made in the USSR wouldn't be labeled "CCCP"?

in any case, nice plane. Clean it up and see how it works.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

IF it was made for export, then it would have the "English" version stamped on it. CCCP is the crylic(sp) version. Yep, just clean, fettle and hone. Handles might be a bit loose, too.

I seem to remember something about those Soviet era planes. Seems the "home" versions even had a "Brand name" on them?

Thanks all for the comments. I started last night to clean it up and sharpen the blade. the one thing I do notice it the blade is reasonably thin in comparison with other planes. It will be interesting to see how well it holds it edge.

Might be a good idea to get rid of that baby blue paint job while you're at it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

This plane was made by "Voskov" factory. In Russian "Восковский завод" - there were made almost all Soviet metal bodied planes. This is a Stanley #4 "brother", I think. Plane iron has near 2 mm thickness and made from Russian analogues of D2 or O1 steel (this is "coarse" mean- analogue, because "Soviet" and "Imperialist" steels have different amounts of additives).
    I have not this plane, instead I have 5 #6, 1 #5, and copy of Record plough plane and some other planes. Some of them are mint! But these ones are "unusable" ore we can call them "sabretoothed behemoth with purple wings". you can have them but not can work with them.
    In any case, after tuning it will be enough good plane, bespoken better than cheap version of Canadian "Handyman" from 1975, which I have too.

Regards,
    George.