Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Guidelines for New Workshop?

Jack, I will be using the T8's as you and others have suggested. Looks like I'll be buying at least 32 2 bulb 4' fixture in the near future. Thanks to all who responded for the invaluable help.
    Gilbert

As someone who has installed lighting in hundreds of different types of installations, commercial, industrial and residential, I have been asked many times about lighting recommendations. I always err to the high side but add switching options. In a workshop, I might split the area up or switch every other fixture. I'd definitely recommend separate switching and added illumination over dedicated work areas, such as a workbench. And it's not a bad idea to place lighting where you won't shadow what you're working on when you need that extra light. When you lay out the shop in your head, locate the areas where you'll need the most light and put dedicated fixtures with their own switches there.

Another consideration is the temperature rating of the lamps you'll be using. I find 6500K lamps a better choice than lesser K-value lamps because they more closely represent natural light. Since I replaced the lamps in my shop with 6500K lamps, I find it more inviting to work.

Gilbert, I used Jacks original article from FWW to design the lighting in my shop. Everybody who comes in to the shop remarks about how much they like the lighting.

My lighting is on 2 circuits at the panel. There are 4 rows of T-8's and each of the 4 rows has it's own switch.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I also plan on having the lights on 4 zones but haven't decided on whether to used quadrants or alternated rows. If I set up quadrants, I will have a two way switch that will allow me to turn on/off at the quadrant as well as at the entry to the shop.

I prefer the 6500K fixtures as well and is what I run in the current shop (garage).

I have 3 zone strips running across my ceiling and more often than not, I flip all 3 on BUT when the wife/kid come trucking through the garage to reach the pantry/laundry area, they always flip on one strip and I put that switch nearest to the garage/house door so the zone thing is definitely a good idea. BTW, the 2 bulbs that burned out on me are on the zone the wife/kid use most often so it gets a workout.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

No kids at home and the wife works with me on all my projects so hopefully I'll get much better life on the lights.