Thread: Two Rolling Workshop Carts

Two Rolling Workshop Carts

Not long ago, I decided that I needed to get some more storage in my shop and wanted to have some rolling storage carts. One of the carts is set up for my scroll saw supplies and has a hanger for the rotary tool and an outlet with extension cord.

Two Carts B.JPG

I had earlier posted about starting to make the carts. I finally ended up making two of them –
    · Size 32” High x 16” wide and 24” deep
    · Sides are made of ½” plywood wood with oak edging.
    · The insides are three frames made from 2x4 stock planed down
    · There are 5 drawers in each cart
    · The casters are heavy duty double locking plate style.

The drawers are made of ½ plywood put together with Kreg Micro pocket holes and ¼” MDF bottoms in a groove. There is a false front on each drawer. I ended up making a jig to clamp the drawer sides so that they would end up square and flush. Kreg screws are great but I have to really clamp the parts to assure there is no movement when assembling the.

Kreg Clamping B.jpgFinished Drawer B.jpg

Both cabinets have a removable top which fits into the 2x4 frame. There are extra tops with right now one having an oscillating spindle sander and another with a miter saw.

Cart Top B.JPGMiter Saw Top B.JPG

Since I have trouble with organization, I made the following drawer pulls which lists what is supposed to be in that drawer.

Drawer Handle B.JPG

Very nice. I may just have to "steal" this idea when I get my shop. 52 days "sigh"

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Copps View Post
    Very nice. I may just have to "steal" this idea when I get my shop.
    Something to consider, if you like the idea of drawers, would be to combine both cabinets on one rolling cart with a work surface on top, level with your work bench and table saw. I find these types of rolling carts (sans the banks of drawers, as I store cased tools and other items underneath) handy for transporting boards and in-process items around the shop as well as temporary work surfaces to move where I need them. I actually have five of them .. four with work surfaces, which can be adjoined to make large work areas, and one, which is lower, strictly for stacking pieces on to move from one operation to the next.