Thread: DIY Beadboard

DIY Beadboard

I need to make some beadboard and have looked a bit at router bit sets. So far this one from Freud looks like it would work ok but I've read a few negative reviews on the T&G bit. The other wrinkle is that the bead is going to have to be on both sides. If anyone has any feedback, suggestions or wisdom, I'm all ears.

Beadboard.jpg

Do you mean you need the bead on both faces or both edges? You shouldn't need the bead on both edges, if you put a bead on both edges the one in the middle of the piece will not match the ones where the two pieces come together.

George

I was referring to beads on both faces. Another clarification - the beadboard is going to be 1/2" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Do you mean you need the bead on both faces or both edges? You shouldn't need the bead on both edges, if you put a bead on both edges the one in the middle of the piece will not match the ones where the two pieces come together.

George

Sears / Corob molding head will do the trick. I have a triple bead cutter, that we ground off the outer two beads to make a single bead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Sears / Corob molding head will do the trick. I have a triple bead cutter, that we ground off the outer two beads to make a single bead.
    +1 for this. I have a shaper but that tablesaw cutter set can do some neat stuff. eBay or corob cutter are your best sources.

Actually, I have the Craftsman triple bead cutter. That would save me $20 and probably make the beading process easier than on a router table.
    Any suggestions on the tongue & groove bit? Anything better than the Freud?

Again, you Craftsman cutter.