Thread: Beginner Shelf Project - what to do about too wide dados?

Beginner Shelf Project - what to do about too wide dados?

I've been reading and learning from the various posts and forums over the past couple of weeks, and I have to say I hesitate to even post this question. Perhaps there's a forum somewhere for totally beginners who have been bitten by the woodworking bug? In any case, here goes.

This is my second bookshelf project - my first was a large bookcase made from barn siding, which turned out pretty good ) So after building a little side table with the scraps, I decided to build bookshelves for the bedroom using our wood fence that blew down in a storm.

Picked out the best two for the sides (6' tall), and created a little jig so I could cut the shelves exactly 29" (only tools I have are electric hand-tools), then clamped the long boards so I could dado spaces for the shelves. I used my circular saw to cut the two edges, then routed the rest. Alas, forgot to allow for the width of the saw on the 2nd cut - drat! so all my dados are each 1/8" too wide! Of course I didn't notice until dry-fitting. Do I need to pick out two more boards and do it again (did I mention I am using a Dremel router)? Or is there some way to shim/fill/other fix?
    IMAG0536.jpgIMAG0535.jpgIMAG0537.jpg
    In regard to my tools - I've been reading the forums and researching what to get for a super-new woodworker-wannabe, so at least that situation should be better over the next several weeks (have some garage cleaning to do as well!)

Thanks! dawn

Absolutely you can use shims underneath the shelves so they are not so obvious. If you want to you can cut the shim in such a way that the weathered grain end shows on the front. Otherwise, 1/8" under a shelf will not be too noticeable.

Good job using existing tools and wood, and welcome. We love super-new woodworker-wannabe's here. We love pictures. We love watching people buy tools too!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Absolutely you can use shims underneath the shelves so they are not so obvious. If you want to you can cut the shim in such a way that the weathered grain end shows on the front. Otherwise, 1/8" under a shelf will not be too noticeable.

Good job using existing tools and wood, and welcome. We love super-new woodworker-wannabe's here. We love pictures. We love watching people buy tools too!

That was what I was thinking, too. Shims under the shelf won't be that visible.

Thanks! Turned out that only two shelves needed shims - not sure how I managed it but most were nice and snug. My homemade shims are not pretty but they'll do. I hauled the finished shelf upstairs only to discover that I'd forgotten to notch the bottom for our monster moldings, so after the cat investigated it fully, back down to the garage to take the bottom apart and cut 3/4"x5" notches. Finally done and installed in the bedroom. And lastly, pix of the tools I used to build the shelf.
    IMAG0555.jpgIMAG0556.jpgIMAG0558.jpgIMAG0559.jpgIMAG0547.jpgIMAG0548.jpg

..Looks good, Dawn, nice job. Once you start putting some weight on it you may have to put a back on to keep it from racking to the side.

Now that you've got that one under your belt, and since you clearly love cats, are you ready for the "Cat Climber" bookcase ?

http://www.hauspanther.com/2013/01/06/the-cat-library/

I attached the shelf to a stud in the wall at the top (where the short piece of wood is). Figured it was too tall and skinny to stand alone!

I love the cat climber bookcase! Will have to try an adaptation of that one! I've done three cat climbers - one for our cat, the other two on demand from relatives. All three are wooden ladders with various beds, toys, scratching material, etc. Here's the small one I did for my son and daughter-in-law.
    IMG953903.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dawn villaescusa View Post
    In regard to my tools - I've been reading the forums and researching what to get for a super-new woodworker-wannabe, so at least that situation should be better over the next several weeks (have some garage cleaning to do as well!)
    Looks good. You can do a lot with the tools you have, it just takes longer.

I'm fairly new to the forum as well, but will chime in on the tool question. Take a good look at going hand tool only. (Or a hybrid of hand/power tools.) The good hand tools are more expensive then the cheap ones, but still less expensive then most power tools. (And you can still do very good work with them.) The only power tools I own at the moment are a small band saw, a drill press and a lathe. (All used stuff others were getting rid of. The lathe is from the 40's...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Parent View Post
    Looks good. You can do a lot with the tools you have, it just takes longer.

I'm fairly new to the forum as well, but will chime in on the tool question. Take a good look at going hand tool only. (Or a hybrid of hand/power tools.) The good hand tools are more expensive then the cheap ones, but still less expensive then most power tools. (And you can still do very good work with them.) The only power tools I own at the moment are a small band saw, a drill press and a lathe. (All used stuff others were getting rid of. The lathe is from the 40's...)
    Thanks! I'm intrigued by the hand tool "hybrid" approach. It was so satisfying using the little plane to true up some of those barn pieces. I posted a question about tool on another forum here at sawmillcreek - I really don't want to go rushing off buying the next cool thing and I'm really happy with the advice I'm getting so far.

Nice work, I am new to Woodworking too. I find it to be an art with so many things to learn.

To late now but during my searching on Woodworking I came across this Tip for helping with that problem.

1st Route a 1/8" Wide X 1/2" Deep slot into the end of the Shelf. Then Rip yourself a 1/2" piece of hardwood that is wider by about 1/16" than the Slot you cut, you will want that piece beveled like a mini wedge. Glue the slot and gently tap the Hardwood piece into the slot and clamp when dry sand and try the fit, it should be like a glove.

Good Luck!

Nice shelf Dawn! I noticed that you are keeping the shelf empty that your cat claimed. LOL

Keep woodworking and Enjoy Life

Thanks Alan and Raymond! And yes, around here, the cat pretty much gets what the cat wants.

Quote Originally Posted by dawn villaescusa View Post
    ... around here, the cat pretty much gets what the cat wants.
    It's good to know one's place in the scheme of things.

There's also lots of videos on making simple but accurate dado jigs on youtube.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_66sOqVUs

enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    There's also lots of videos on making simple but accurate dado jigs on youtube.
    Thanks, I can see I need one of these!