Thread: Sketchup Help!

Sketchup Help!

I am trying to draw some cabinet "False" feet. I have a cabinet drawn but I would like to add a decorative trim piece to the bottom that would be cut out like cabinet feet but still have the toe kick behind it. I tried drawing a rectangle then using the pencil tool to draw the cut out but i cant get the push pull tool to select the shape that I drew. Please help me figure this out.

Thanks

David, I'll send you my e-mail address via PM. Send me your SKP file so I can see exactly what you've got and I'll help you sort it out.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Dave will help. Is this what you have in mind?base.JPG

I clicked on bottom view, used the pencil to draw the borders of the areas I wanted to raise. Then drew them out the desired amount one section at a time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

David Huston,

I find that Sketchup drawing works more easily when every part of an assembly is made into a group or component.

One way to draw the cabinet feet and recessed toe kick is to make a separate drawing of that portion and work from "underneath". Of course, it's possible to navigate the drawing of the whole cabinet to work from below.

1. Set the view to be a plan. Draw a plane representing the cabinet bottom.
    2. Draw a cabinet foot.
    3. Select the cabinet foot, right click and select Make Group.
    4. Copy the cabinet feet group and place them in their locations.
    5. Repeat drawing for the planes representing the toe kicks.
    6. Copy the toe kick planes and place.
    7. Select the entire drawing right click and "Explode" Otherwise, each extrusion (Push-Pull) will have to be done as "Edit Group"
    8. Begin the extrusion, type in the dimension of the extrusion. Then the other planes selected can be matched to the first by bringing up the surface and then moving the cursor over to the edge of the original or other plane at the same plane. This saves having to type in the extrusion dimension for each part.
    9. If you are applying texture, you can select everything and when using the paint bucket tool, all the surfaces will be textured at once.
    10. If the bottom plane is not used, as it is a group, it may be deleted separately so only the base components remain. If the entire assembly was made a group for texture then the Edit Group will allow the deletion.
    11. If you have worked in plan from underneath, select everything and using the Rotate tool, turn the assembly over 180 degrees

This may not resemble the forms and layout of your parts, but the suggestion is to make every part a group which tends to make moving, copying, and manipulating parts much easier.

Alan Caro

David Huston Cabinet.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 04-04-2014 at 2:35 AM.

David is using components for drawing his model. He's done a very good job of it making components throughout. The issue he was asking about turned out to be that the part he's referring to is drawn slightly off axis and the shape he drew for the cut out doesn't lie entirely on the face of the part. Due to the lines of that shape not being coplanar a face couldn't be created when the loop was completed so there's nothing to push through the part with Push/Pull. The fix in this case is simple. Delete the component and redraw it on axis. The cut out can then be drawn on the surface and the waste can be pushed through successfully.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 04-04-2014 at 2:17 PM.