Thread: Shadow chest glass

Shadow chest glass

I'm making a shadow chest for one of my fellow Chiefs that is retiring. I'm working on the tray that will hold all of his medals and flag. I would like to install a piece of tempered glass on the top once the flag and medals have been installed.

Should I just make a rabbit and then a small piece of trim to hold the glass in? Is there a better way?

Shadow chest_20140328_0001.jpg

Shadow chest_20140402_0002.jpg

Shadow chest_20140402_0003.jpg

Shadow chest_20140402_0004.jpg

This is an example
    Shadow chest_20140307_0022.jpg

No first hand experience but why not make a set of rails and stiles and install the glass as if it was a cabinet door with a pair of hinges at the rear and either a pull or a small keyed latch at the front?

I'd think it'd be nice to be able to easily access the contents without having to remove trim? I know it's somewhat of a time capsule so once setup it's done but just a thought.

How thick are the tray sides? Have you built the tray, yet? If not, how about setting the glass in a rabbet with a bit of clear sealant to hold it in and make the bottom of the tray removable for those rare occasions when it needs to be opened to adjust things or to clean the glass. It would give a very clean, simple look to it.

The rest of the chest looks very nice, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    No first hand experience but why not make a set of rails and stiles and install the glass as if it was a cabinet door with a pair of hinges at the rear and either a pull or a small keyed latch at the front?

I'd think it'd be nice to be able to easily access the contents without having to remove trim? I know it's somewhat of a time capsule so once setup it's done but just a thought.
    +1 I'd hinge it with a glass door.

Nice "goat locker." He or she will love it.
    -Lud

The tray is made from 3/4" oak. I have a dado for a sheet of plywood that will be fixed for the bottom. On the ends there will be a glue up that will be proud of the top that I will make handles out of.

There is a foam board that gets laid in the bottom with the medals and ribbons attached to it....placed from above.

Here is the final product. He started crying when he saw it. Sure was an honor to build it and be part of his retirement.
    1551465_10203693780491148_46747179124448063_n (1).jpg

Very very nice. Cant beat a response like that.

Very nice, great work!