Thread: Need to lift my jointer to turn 180* on the mobile base

Need to lift my jointer to turn 180* on the mobile base

My jointer sets on a mobile base and I need to turn it 180* to make it easier to park in its spot. Is it safe to lift it by the tables without getting them out of whack?

I would just lift it set down spin the base 180* then lift it and replace it in the base.

Thanks

George

I've done it, but tightened the tables down first. I try to hold the tables as close to the base as possible.
    I use a chainfall to lift my 8" jointer.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I would not do it by lifting from the tables... not worth the risk. Not sure how heavy it is, but you can rent a cherry picker and do it very safely.

And how do you connect it to the Cherry Picker?
    Myk Rian's answer sounds reasonable. One time does not make a guarantee, however, it is actual experience.
    All I have really done is lift one end at a time to either shim the machine for level or move it back into position. No issues though. Mine is a 6", so it may not be in the same weight catagory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    And how do you connect it to the Cherry Picker?
    In the picture, I am lifting the jointer/planer (~600 lb) and mobile base off of some blocks. I used a 2 ton engine lift and 20ft of lifting strap. The lifting strap is attached to a heavy duty shackle, with the shackle attached to the lifting hook.

Mt jointer is little 6" Delta so it is not that heavy.

George

George - you need any help just give me a shout.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You should never lift a jointer by the tables. In full disclosure, I did exactly that once. My son and I lifted it by the tables from the floor to place it on it's stand. It's the only time and apparently caused no damage. The jointer is a Delta DJ-20. Would I do it again? NO! Not at my age. Even then, my son and I both hurt from doing that. I should have arranged something other than easily damaged human bodies to do the bull work.

To your situation - I'd pry the jointer's stand up one end at a time and slip some wood under to bridge the mobile base. When both ends are thus above the mobile base, then carefully rotate it as you need and then carefully remove the wood holding it up and lower it back into the mobile base.

We have an engine hoist,and honestly....other than pulling engines,can't stand the thing.Definitely NOT sayin it isn't a viable solution....they work for a lot of shops.But given the choice between it,and our chain fall.........we'll use a the latter 10-1 over the engine hoist.

Depending on the weight,obviously.....we'll either use a custom made clevis that slips over a ceiling joist(we have 2x10s in the shop)....or we use a bolt together,wheeled gantry affair to which the chain fall attaches.We do have 10' ceilings though.But even if I was in an 8',would really lean twds the chain fall.

As John posted above,cribbing your machine is a time honored approach........one that we use often.Be careful,be safe.

I have picked up a jointer to put it on a mobile base with an engine hoist. I had a balance bar and some 6000 lb straps. I did it as a 1-person job, but it would have been better to do it with two people. At no point did it feel unsafe--I took it very easy. I had the straps at the joint of the base and the table. I understand that you do not want to pull up at the ends to the table. Some jointers are reported to have bars you can use to lift it.

Take it slow and safe.

Scott

I purchased an engine hoist/floor crane to assemble my heavy woodworking machinery and successfully assembled everything without any assistance. I don’t remember having any issues when setting the jointer into the mobile stand.

I have decided to change it's parking location so I do not need rotate it in its mobile base.

I sold my G0490 and two guys carried it out by the tables. Never heard if it worked afterwards. But I guess its not my problem, as I recommended they disassemble it.

Same thing with my tablesaw, only one man doubled over in a back pain half way through the door. Fortunately he carried on somehow; though I can't imagine how.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    my tablesaw, only one man doubled over in a back pain half way through the door. Fortunately he carried on somehow; though I can't imagine how.
    !!! take it apart! or hire a pro to move it. None of this is worth destroying your body to move it. Riggers or movers know what to do. FWIW, my Unisaw went into my shop in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    !!! take it apart! or hire a pro to move it. None of this is worth destroying your body to move it. Riggers or movers know what to do. FWIW, my Unisaw went into my shop in pieces.
    Absolutely. I urged them to take it apart, but they didn't want to.
    When I bought new tools after moving, I paid people $225 to move 2500 pounds of new tools. Best money I ever spent. And they made it look so easy.