Thread: Hand Planer and Scrapers

Hand Planer and Scrapers

I am looking to purchase some hand planes and scrapers. I am new to the hand plane tools. What are good hand planes that are decently priced.

Planes -- Lie Nielsen or Veritas

Come on over to the Neanderthal section.

It's all about planes, and chisels, and saws, and...

There's reasonably priced, and there's useable - those things tend to be mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Petit View Post
    I am looking to purchase some hand planes and scrapers. I am new to the hand plane tools. What are good hand planes that are decently priced.
    If you become a Contributor for $6.00 you can shop on the Creek. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    These are super nice planes but will cost you a good few bucks. I'm in the same boat as you. I just started using hand planes a few months ago. I now have a Stanley no5, no name no4 and siegley no7. That stanley only cost me $32 which included shipping. You can find them on ebay, craigslist or your local flea markets. With about an hour of work, you can get them decently sharp and good enough to start practicing.

Now if you have the money, Lie Nielsen and Vertis are very nice planes that are just about ready to go out of the box.

While I love my Lie Nielsens I agree with Kevin, once you have fettled your flea market planes they can do a very nice job.

Although I will say I love the Lie Nielsen card scrapers and they don't break the bank. I have had the best luck getting an edge on these that I had a hard time getting on other brands.

-Alden

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
    These are super nice planes but will cost you a good few bucks. I'm in the same boat as you. I just started using hand planes a few months ago. I now have a Stanley no5, no name no4 and siegley no7. That stanley only cost me $32 which included shipping. You can find them on ebay, craigslist or your local flea markets. With about an hour of work, you can get them decently sharp and good enough to start practicing.
    Except... if a person doesn't have any idea what a nicely fettled plane is like, one can spend a LOT of time accomplishing nothing, or even messing up a good plane. So, it would probably be a good idea to get one good plane that's ready to go out of the box aside from honing the blade. In addition to using it to do work, one can also use it to learn how a good plane behaves.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    I have Veritas planes, bevel up, they are very nice. I use the block plane on just about every project I complete, it is a nice plane to start with and learn to sharpen. LN is another brand I want to try, but these bevel up planes are hard to tire of for me.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    I didn't know that. I'm looking for some tools for my little project too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Except... if a person doesn't have any idea what a nicely fettled plane is like, one can spend a LOT of time accomplishing nothing, or even messing up a good plane.
    This describes my early experience. If you have none, try to get a few quality ones in your hands before laying out your cash. Then at least you know what a plane should do. I am a tailed-tool guy but, none of my projects reaches the finishing stage without a plane, scraper, chisel or all three in the mix. I started with a Groz and a low end Stanley. Fail! I then got a Lee Valley low angle block plane and a low angle jack. I now have others but, could almost get by with nothing else.

Scrapers are less expensive and easier to select. I'm sure there is a holy Grail of scrapers out there but, I have made a ton of stuff with the assortment from Rockler or Woodcraft.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    I have Veritas planes, bevel up........these bevel up planes are hard to tire of for me.
    BU v BD. The classic wrasslin' match.

I've got some of both. L-N. The block planes are BU. Jack plane is BU. The bench planes are BD - including my prized Keen Kutter K-7C.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    It is my understanding you can purchase from the Classified forum without being a contributor. You have to be a contributor to post ads. Not to deter anyone from being a contributor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)