Thread: I'm not a Laser Brain But....

I'm not a Laser Brain But....

Hi all,

I recently was asked if I could could make pens with a logo and a phone number lasered into them. Then I started thinking of lots of applications where I would like to do that. Problem is...I don't know the first thing about tooling charges, artwork requirements, pricing, quantities....you name it, I don't know it.

How would I go about finding someone to do this and am I looking at a lot of money? Is it better to find someone with a small shop or go with a large outfit? Keep in mind that it is just me making the pens..you know...maximum of 5-8 per week on average.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Pens

Hi John;
    Lasering wood pens is not a big deal-really quite simple and not expensive. Because the area is very small, you don't want a very complex logo. Cost should not exceed $2/$3 per pen in lots of 10. I would be happy to do some samples for you at no charge. Call me at 585-924-4519 or email at gperzel@rochester.rr.com.
    George

George

To your knowledge, as anyone come up with a device for the Epilog rotary fixture that would allow doing more than 1 line on small items such as a pen? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rotary Device

Hi William;
    I'm not familiar with the Epilog but I can do 2 lines very well on a pen with my LaserPro without the rotary and can write completely around it with the rotary attachment (setup would take some time and wouldn't do it for only a few pens.)
    George

Quote Originally Posted by William Capman
    George

To your knowledge, as anyone come up with a device for the Epilog rotary fixture that would allow doing more than 1 line on small items such as a pen? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have seen pens that are not completely assembled so that they can be lasered in the round but I don't remember where. Might have been laser bits.
    I'm not sure I'd do more than a few lines as my rotary fixture is wickedly innaccurate.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

FYI,

For anyone who uses the ULS rotary we made a fixture to rotate the pens in the rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by William Capman
    ...has anyone come up with a device for the Epilog rotary fixture that would allow doing more than 1 line on small items such as a pen?
    William,

The Epilog cylindrical attachment (in my biased, professional opinion) is the most versatile in the industry. But, it will not do pens at all (without a 4" lens).

IMark, however, makes a jig (or used to anyway) that will allow you to rotate a pen a precise amount allowing for as many lines of text as desired (each line as if flat).

As George M. said, however, most of us do two lines without the cylindrical attachment.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Acrylic pen fixture which Michael just mentioned:
    http://www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brewer
    The Epilog cylindrical attachment (in my biased, professional opinion) is the most versatile in the industry. But, it will not do pens at all (without a 4" lens).

IMark, however, makes a jig (or used to anyway) that will allow you to rotate a pen a precise amount allowing for as many lines of text as desired (each line as if flat).

Roy,
    I was asking the question because I have a chance to do some small SS pins, 3/8 by 4" for a customer’s with a new product line. They are proposing 3 or 4 lines of small text and/or gradation marks. At this time it’s just a prototype, but could very well become a nice order. The pins are not heavy enough to guarantee good registration on the current Epilog fixture. The Kallenshaan fixture would work but I was looking for something more adaptable to the regular Epilog Rotary fixture.

I am not familiar with IMark. Could you give me more inforamtion.

Thanks much
    Bill Capman

IMark

I am not familiar with IMark. Could you give me more inforamtion.

American National Supply / IMark
    imark-pen.com
    imarkpen at interserv.com
    817-385-0306