Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residue Removal??

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Allen
    Lee,
    My last reply was to Robert's question about what finish I then apply. He then went on to ask if paste wax does not mess it up. I never said anything about using paste wax.
    "Ok, people, we have experienced a major Cross-Threading Event. Move along, nothing to see here."
    Behold and Pledge are not wax. They are petroleum distillate cleaners and funiture polish. They do not seal bare wood like paste wax would.
    Good to know, but in that case, is there any reason not to just use mineral spirits instead?

Lee,
    I don't see any reason not to use mineral spirits, except that is smells worse and does not foam like Behold/Pledge. I also use alcohol at times but all in all I prefer Behold.

Besides Formby's, I also use satin Minwax rub on polyurethane finish which dries fairly fast, looks good, and is easy to apply.

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for your great feedback. We finally finished the job but found that pledge and/or water warped the wood. Our wood piece was only 1/8" thick, which might be why it warped from the water and/or pledge.We finally conquered it by running another pass at 100% speed. Cleaned up nicely. Then just sprayed a soft rag with some pledge and wiped the non-engraved areas.

This forum is a GREAT place for brain-storming!!