Thread: Japanese Lantern

Blog Entries

Japanese Lantern

For the first time I used someone else's plans / concepts in making a Japanese Lantern / Light for our entry. I have been diligently trying to reduce my scrap pile before I start the next two projects. The woods are curly maple and african mahogany. The finish is shellac. The paper is rice paper with silk fiber added. I made the rice glue myself.

Lantern 1.jpgLantern 3.jpgLantern 4.jpgView from Second Floor lit.jpgView from Stairs Lit.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

You are amazing, Shawn! Now I want one.. or two.

Very cool, Shawn. That lantern really has style. The rice paper lens material is interesting. Is it readily available ? Does it have body or is it much like paper ? Would it hold up outdoors ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Very cool, Shawn. That lantern really has style. The rice paper lens material is interesting. Is it readily available ? Does it have body or is it much like paper ? Would it hold up outdoors ?
    The rice paper is, well, paper. I ordered it online from eshoji.com (I have no affiliation other than a satisfied customer). This paper is for indoors only. But they have other papers that have a mylar layer that is considerably more durable. I plan on using this for some window shojis I intend to make. The other taditional paper is mulberry paper.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Blog Entries
    Julie, thanks. This is well within your skills. These are great projects to use up scrap and fill time between other projects.
    Shawn

First and foremost, AWESOME light! you did fantastic.

Now how about making a mounting medallion of sorts, in a complimenting style, so you can get rid of the white plastic and eye hooks?

And to repeat my 1st comment, I really like the light.
    The 4th photo where it is light up with no flash? ...... perfect!
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Do you have plans or did you just draw your own? I made a Japanese style lampshade one time but after a long time trying to develop a plan my lamp shade didn't turn out all that great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Uchida View Post
    Do you have plans or did you just draw your own? I made a Japanese style lampshade one time but after a long time trying to develop a plan my lamp shade didn't turn out all that great.
    LOML bought me a book which describes how to make 15 or so different lanterns. Typically, I only make my own designs, so this was a first for me. Most of the technique is making accurate dados in straight, square, and properly sized stock. The book I used was, "Making Japanese-Style Lamps & Lanterns" by Edward R. Turner (ISBN 13: 9780881791983).
    Shawn

Very nice Shawn! Excellent use for your small pieces. I bet it looks nice with the bench and mat you made.

Enjoy it always...