Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultimate dream woodshop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    El Cajon? It would be really tough to see El Capitan from San Diego.
    I was thinking the same thing. He must be at a really high altitude to see Yosemite.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

NO sweat: Gary, what are you doing re air conditioning? Summertime here in my part of S. Calif., I sweat and it blinds my eyes and--worse yet--on it gets on my cast iron surfaces depositing rust splashes everywhere.

The suggestion re an overhead hoist spanning the shop is a good one. I had a trolly on a beam giving me a single axis lift point but an overhead gantry would be awesome.

Gary:

I ran a 8" wide by 8" deep trench to the middle of the slab in my 22'x26' shop, and put 6" PVC pipe in it for the DC. I highly recommend the trench approach, along with a couple of machine clusters in the middle along the trench. In my case I have my TS, shaper, and planer in a central cluster and never have to deal with overhead pipes except along the wall. Six other machines are hooked to the DC from overhead drops on the walls.

As far as cooling, I have a heat pump but rarely need to turn it on for summer cooling. Instead, I have two ceiling fans located 11' off the floor. On high speed they'll blow sawdust off the floor. They do a good job of cooling even in a fairly humid St Louis summer.