Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Turning

Quote Originally Posted by jwjerry w kowalski View Post
    Jak,

For a first turning that is very,very nice. My first turning looked like a dog dish in the rough.
    Thanks, I appreciate the kind compliments.
    Well, I probably put a lot more time and effort in planning what I wanted than what is necessary. Right now with the initial purchase of the lathe, tooling.........I don't have a lot of extra funds, better not even think about pulling out any plastic either (warden will kill me!)! So I have to be very productive with the materials I buy for turning, cause I cannot afford a second attempt. I also have years of experience in wood working, not a pro by any means, but I have done a lot of different things over the years, usually out of necessity, so I have learned a lot by trial and error! I also have some scraps from a left over project that I whittled down so I could play with on the lathe and the tooling, especially after sharpening my tools the first time. This may also sound stupid but I watched a lot of YouTube videos on turning, so I picked-up on some of the basics.
    I'm really trying to find something to make that will actually possibly produce a little side income, not a lot just a little. I also have a cousin that runs a small store and I think she would be fine with selling my stuff for me. The only problem is right now I would probably have to sale that bottle opener for $30 and that would leave me and her splitting $14 of it, I'm sure she would be fine with a 30% take on it, especially if it is a consignment program, I just don't think anyone will shell out that kind of bank for it.

Okay, I made another one, this one was made with a specific friend in mind, his birthday is the 26 of this month and we received an invitation from his wife to attend. He had made a comment about the first one I made, thought it was really cool, so I got to thinking about some left-over parts I had out in the garage and came up with this. Just an axle nut for the front axle of a Fatboy.
    20140413_150953 (1).jpg20140413_151039.jpg20140413_151021.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Kelly View Post
    Okay, I made another one, this one was made with a specific friend in mind, his birthday is the 26 of this month and we received an invitation from his wife to attend. He had made a comment about the first one I made, thought it was really cool, so I got to thinking about some left-over parts I had out in the garage and came up with this. Just an axle nut for the front axle of a Fatboy.
    I am sure your friend will love it, if he is a motorcyclist there is no doubt, even if he isn't it still a great gift. I have a G0658 along with my Jet 1642. I use it about as much as I use the Jet.

BTW I am pretty sure the warranty on your new Griz is one year so when it runs out you might want to look into putting a reversing switch on it, would not want to do it now because it could void the warranty but a year from now you might want to look into doing this.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I am sure your friend will love it, if he is a motorcyclist there is no doubt, even if he isn't it still a great gift. I have a G0658 along with my Jet 1642. I use it about as much as I use the Jet.

BTW I am pretty sure the warranty on your new Griz is one year so when it runs out you might want to look into putting a reversing switch on it, would not want to do it now because it could void the warranty but a year from now you might want to look into doing this.
    He is definetely an inthusiast! Heck, he is probably the primary reason I have a Harley now. But also, like me, he likes all bikes.
    Out of ignorance, why do I want a reversing switch?

Great first turning! My first turning was a candlestick out of cedar that looked, well ..., strange. Eastern Red Cedar, once dry, is a great wood to turn. You do want to use a good dust mask as it will create a fine red dust that goes everywhere. For pens you can can find wood in a lot of places. When driving through town look along the sides of the road for yard cleanup. You can often find branches and small limbs placed beside the road. Heck I even turned a pen from a large Azalea bush I took down in our yard. Turned out quite nice. Have fun turning!