Thread: Ambrosia Maple Question

Ambrosia Maple Question

I am making a memory box for my daughter and she chose Ambrosia Maple for the construction. She did not want to see glue joints to make boards wider so I have a 13/16" surfaces piece that is 9 1/4" wide. I will plane and sand the board to 1/2" for the box and probably 1/4" to 3/8" for the bottom of the box and the bottom of the tray that will sit in the top. The sides of the box will be 9" tall.

I fear that the wood will cup before the box is constructed after I make it thinner. Any tips on how to prevent this? Any one know if this wood is more prone to cup than other wood?

Thanks

Thickness plane the pieces to close to what you need. If you're really concerned leave about 1/8" - 1/4" extra thickness. Sticker the boards up and let them rest for a few days. Any cupping should straighten itself out during that time.

When you're ready to make the box, take the remaining thickness off. If the pieces aren't flat use any of myriad ways to flatten one side before running it back through the thickness planer.

BTW..I don't ever remember having a problem with the Ambrosia maple when I've worked with it.

...Chuck

You probably already do this, but take equal amounts off both faces when planing. And as Chuck mentioned, leave it a little oversize at first and let it come to equilibrium again. As long as the grain is fairly straight, with no crotch grain, it should be fairly stable.

Thanks for the tips guys! I had not thought of either of these but they both will help.

Enjoy Life...

Is there anything to stop you from making a plywood or shop ply lamination?
    That would give you a solid substrate, without adding much thickness.