Thread: band saw delima

band saw delima

thanks to all who gave there insight into my band saw decision,, well now im deciding if I should get the griz 513 17 inch 2 hspwr for 825 this is my first real band saw I had a sears 12 inch for years.... there is a lot of discussion about resawing , I never did any because I did not have the saw to do so.. im wondering like and icemaker in your frig no one uses ice until you have an icemaker then you wonder how you lived without it... if I had a saw that did resaw would I use it would the extra money spent be worth it. any veterans with this situation... thanks

2. Do you want to book match? Do you want to cut your own veneer? If so,yes. If not,no.

That is a great saw for the price. You will be happy with it. It will cut what you want, just get a good blade.

Kari
    If you are going for a large resaw I would go with a MM16 before the Grizzle. 4 HP over 2 HP weight is about 100-200pound more. I use a 1 1/4" resaw blade on my MM16saw. I think the MM16 or 24 are great saw for the money if you can pick them up used. Tom

all bandsaws are capable of resawing it's just a matter of how tall a resaw it is capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    all bandsaws are capable of resawing it's just a matter of how tall a resaw it is capable of doing.
    And what blade you use. A 10 tooth per inch will resaw, but only a couple inches high and with very very slow feed speeds. No more than 3 teeth per inch for most resaw work.

I am a veteran, and have that saw. It is a world apart from a 14" cast iron saw. I put a wood slicer blade on it, and it will accurately resaw all day. I do now find myself resawing more than I did before. I used to fret about planing wood away to get the required thickness. Now I just saw most of it off and plane the rest smooth, leaving me with lots of thin wood I can use for box bottoms, even veneer.