Thread: Sharpening System?

Sharpening System?

Looking for opinions. Trying to decide on a sharpening system and looking for pros & cons. I'm considering either the Robert Sorby Proedge System or the Oneway Wolverine System (I have a 6" variable speed bench grinder). Will be mainly used to sharpen lathe tools and chisels. Not concerned with cost.
    Thanks
    Jim

8" 1725 rpm grinder with CBN wheel, (6" will give you a concave bevel which is not a good thing). Base wolverine jig, Vari-grind I for Ellsworth grinds, the skew attachment and the "grind n' hone" will give you all the grinds you need. Haven't used the Sorby, so can't comment on that.

3. I purchased the Sorby for sharpening turning tools and was OK with it until I started to use the powdered metal tools (Thompson). I found that it didn't sharpen them very well. the theory I heard is that the carbide particles are too hard for the belt and they break off instead of getting cut.

I switched over to an 8" fine CBN wheel in a slow speed grinder (Woodcraft) and have been much happier. I also have the wolverine system with the Varigrind 1. I use the Varigrind for my spindle gouges and swept back bowl gouges and the platform for everything else. I only use the arm to hold the varigrind. I also tried the skew jig and ended up returning it.

Although I generally use my turning tools right off the wheel, I find that the concave grind is easier to touch up with a diamond hone if I want a really sharp tool for a finish cut.

Around here, Wolverine (+ varigrind) on a slow speed grinder is the most popular. There's virtually nothing bad about it.

I would also amp up the system with a CBN wheel. It takes all the hassle of changing, balancing, truing and re-calibrating the friable type wheels. CBN also has a lot of fans on this forum. But it IS pricey.

I agree with the CBN recommendation, but somewhat disagree on the 'pricey' bit. The difference between the terms cost and price comes to play. While you can buy a matrix wheel for $50 and a CBN will run you over $200, you have to add to the cost of using a matrix wheel. First is replacement, another $50 every few years, and second is a good balancing system ($10 for a proper bushing to $90 or a oneway balancing jig) and a dresser better than a hand held 'T' dresser (Geiger solutions $90, oneway a bit less). As you can see, the 'cheap' matrix wheel can end up costing more than the CBN wheel that does not need balancing or dressing or replacing as often.

As was said, the slight curve from an 8" grinder is OK for honing, while the deeper curve from a 6" wheel causes problems - mainly with the fact that the angle of the edge is not what you might think it is - its sharper by several degrees. By that logic a 10" wheel would be even better, and some report that it is, but it is even more pricey to set up. Also the wolverine jig is really designed for an 8" wheel.

Buy an 8" CBN fine grit wheel and you will be better off in the long run. CBN is designed for cutting the carbides present in modern tool steels, Aluminium Oxide is not hard enough to cut the carbides.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

As has been said, slow speed 8" with 2 CBN wheels, a wolverene and a Robo Rest for sure. Once set up like this you will never look back nor ever question if you did the right thing or spent too much.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I was using a cheap Harbor Freight 6" grinder with stock wheel and I "thought" my tools were sharp enough. I was not able to grow as a turner failing to get the clean cuts that I desired and unable to master shear scraping. I could not get the grind angles consistent on my gouges either which was a constant source of frustration. I deemed my bowl scrapers almost useless and used enough 60 grit sandpaper to fill a dumpster. A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought a Rikon 8" slow speed grinder and an 8" 180-grit CBN wheel from D-Way tools to use with my Wolverine setup. I basically revamped my whole sharpening setup, even cutting a new 3/4" plywood platform for the grinder. It was a large investment for me as I don't have a lot of cash for my hobby but it has changed wood turning for me forever. For anyone listening, getting your tools properly sharp with useful, consistent grind angles (there are many) makes all the world of difference no matter what sharpening system you use! I wish I would have done this sooner as I would be a lot further down the road. I can now make shear cuts, get good cuts and profiles on the inside of bowls, my scrapers actually work now, and I can usually start with 120 grit sandpaper! Happy turning!

Here is my setup:
    Rikon 8" slow speed grinder
    180-Grit CBN wheel from D-Way Tools (replacing the fine wheel on the grinder)
    Wolverine Base System
    Vari-Grind (not the vari-grind 2)
    Skew Grinding attachment

I will also add that I thought this was pretty easy to setup and use.

I will post some pictures of my setup a little later. I would like to add that I learned a tremendous amount from Dave's videos on the D-Way Tools website. I saw Dave use a dowel cut to a specific length to set the distance for the Wolverine arm and I did the same and it works perfectly every time. I used to be so afraid to take out the arm to grind my scrapers because it was so hard to get the distance adjusted back and would end up with facets on my gouges. Using Dave's trick works perfectly the first time every single time. Super easy. Now I change out the arm for the platform as needed without worry. I will try to post some of my work today as well. Been so busy turning haven't had time.

I have the Oneway Wolverine system (with the works: Vari-Grind I jig, skew jig and diamond dresser) with a Wood Craft slow speed 8" grinder with aluminum oxide wheels. This system works great. However, I have used a Wolverine with a CBN wheel at the local community college, and I must say I do like the CBN wheels very much. At the school they have one side of the SS grinder with an aluminum oxide wheel for rough shaping, and a fine CBN wheel for final sharpening. The only draw back in my mind is the price of the CBN wheels (although I did read the post on comparative price analysis in this thread). Bottom line - I love the Wolverine system and highly recommend it, and up until now I'm on the fence about the CBN wheels due to price.

I did hear somewhere that the CBN wheels should only be used to sharpen HSS tools, and not regular carbon tools. I do have some old non-HSS lathe tools that I use occasionally, so if true this could be an issue for me.

Grinders are generally preferred to belt sharpening systems. Grinder costs can go from the $100 or so Rikon that Woodcraft carries to the $800+ Baldor, or the one from Cuttermaster up in Canada which is in the $1200 range. Most go with an 8 inch slow speed grinder, though many use 6 inch grinders, and some use high speed grinders or variable speed grinders. The CBN wheels are expensive, but are by far better than any other grinding wheel available, and they are made specifically for grinding hardened metals. The Oneway Wolverine set up is by far the most popular set up for sharpening stations. I don't use jigs at all, being a platform sharpener. I have several clips up on You Tube, I think 3 are on sharpening. Just type in robo hippy.

robo hippy

Okay, thanks to all
    I will go with the Wolverine System and a new 8" Slow Speed Bench Grinder. Will upgrade to the CBN wheels later on.

Jim

Let me jump on the CBN grinding wheel bandwagon. I use the Wolverine system with the 80 grit and the 180 grit. I have the Vari grind set up for my spindle gouges. I cut a piece of PVC pipe to slide over the vee arm. With a stop block to limit the protrusion of the gouge, I can repeat my gring. It takes longer for my grinder to get up to speed than it does to sharpen. I use the same setup for my bowl gouges, except I use a Vari grind two. When I'm doing bowls, I leave my grinder running. Touching up an edge takes less than a minute. Joe

The CBN wheels are fantastic and I can't wait to order mine, but I still have two good normal wheels that put on a damn fine edge. When they wear out, I'll buy the CBNs. I use a One Way system and replaced the flat plate with a Robo Rest. That combo is tought to beat.
    Do or do not, there is no try.