Thread: Old cement laundry sink -- rebuild of base, backsplash, plumbing

Old cement laundry sink -- rebuild of base, backsplash, plumbing

We have a very old cement utility sink. The plumbing was falling apart, so this week's project was to spruce it up. This project reinforced my belief that if you've got a chopsaw and a circular saw, your basic home needs are 80% covered!

image_02.jpg

Attached backing boards to wall studs to secure plywood splashboard and the 2x4 rear sink support. Glued in corner blocks to attach plywood to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image_03.jpg

Insulation probably not necessary here in the northwest... but it's an unheated garage so playing it safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    image_04.jpg

Sorry for sideways pic. Screwed 2x4 stand into plywood and into 1x6 backing on other side of plywood. The garage floor is not level so had to measure pieces to fit so that the sink sits level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image_05.jpg

Room for the cat food, and with the new stand there is less likelihood that the cat will be crushed one day when the volcano hits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image_06.jpg

Finished it with deck stain/sealant. I used that trick I'd read about somewhere on Sawmill Creek about taping a T-shirt rag around my hand and rubbing the stain in with that. That worked great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image_07.jpg

Handy lift-off top panel..! To get at shut-off valves, and the plumbing if the thing ever freezes up.

For the drain, I had difficulty sourcing the proper gasket for the tray that attaches to the underside of the sink. So I cleaned up the old gasket and applied an epoxy-based plumber's putty above and below the gasket. That seems to have worked well.

My wife wanted me to replace this with a new sink --- but I love this old heavy sink.
    Last edited by Harvey Chute; 04-08-2014 at 4:39 PM.
    Design. Design. Design. Design. Design. Design. Build. Argghhh! Design. Design. Design...

Looks great, not sure if you mentioned it but are you going to do anything to the sink itself?