Thread: My Son's First Bowl

My Son's First Bowl

Call me a proud dad! My 12 year old son turned this little bowl tonight out of Black Walnut. It is about 4.5" in diameter. I had him use a round carbide tool on the outside for safety and a regular grind 1/2 inch bowl gouge on the inside. He used a scraper to clean up the inside. The finish is EEE by Ubeaut.

Jeffreys_bowl.jpg

Bet he was proud also. Looks like another turner there.

Please congratulate him for us!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

4. He did a nice job, I'll bet he's hooked on turning now with such a nice result to show for his efforts.

That is fantastic! I think he will be really good in wood turning! Congratulations to both of you!

6. Very Nice...I wish my first bowl was so nice....in fact I wish my 20th bowl was that nice. Great Job!

Well done! Looks like he handled a bit of live edge too. That's an excellent bowl, he can post his work any time. :-)

Thanks for all the nice comments! I try to encourage him as much as possible but he is way more interested in "Call of Duty" on the Xbox right now. I think he will take more interest as he gets a little older... at least I hope so! Its nice to have a turning buddy in the shop. Gets lonely out there sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ritchie View Post
    Thanks for all the nice comments! I try to encourage him as much as possible but he is way more interested in "Call of Duty" on the Xbox right now. I think he will take more interest as he gets a little older... at least I hope so! Its nice to have a turning buddy in the shop. Gets lonely out there sometimes...
    What size lathe did he turn on? I have a little Nova Comet II in addition to my Powermatic 3520B that my "friends" can use while I do work on the larger lathe. My grandchildren find the small lathe easier to get around, and I like for beginners to work on the small lathe since if you can turn on the small with limited power and weight, then the it is easier to adapt to the larger. That might be a good reason to have a second lathe along with a dozen other reasons.

It was my Grizzly Good 18x47. I have a small turn crafter lathe but my dad has it at his shop. My shop is a 10 12 metal building so not enough room for all the toys I want. When we sell the house and move I will be building a proper shop from the ground up.

We all want more toys and shop space. Good luck. My toy list is much shorter and existing equipment and size of shop are just opportunities to work with. Now to just get my wood accumulation addiction under control.

lol... I just realized my Samsung Galaxy decided it knew what I wanted to type better than me and changed Grizzly G0733 to "Good" and took the "x" out of 10x12 metal building. Silly phone...