Thread: segmented,burnt, beaded,and with a ribbon finial

segmented,burnt, beaded,and with a ribbon finial

Here's a segmented box made from cherry and walnut with a burnt and beaded lid. I like the way it came out, but I'll probably redo the lid, the bowl is 12 divisions and the lid I made into 14 divisions, one of those senior moments I suppose, didn't even realize it until I had it all done. It won't be right away though I have to get over the frustration of doing something so foolish.P4090227.jpgP4090228.jpgP4090233.jpg

That is an incredible looking box. I like everything about it. The colors work well together. I like the way that the lid has a different pitch than the base. I would keep the lid with 14 segments.

Steve

I agree with Steve, I like it as is. Very nice work!

I'm with them. The lid is great. The different numbers force the eye to look for resolution. It gives it a sense of movement.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I think that if the lid were 12 sections, you would be upset if someone removed the lid and did not line the segments back up. I know I would!

I also agree with the 'sense of movement' statement.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I feel better already, I didn't think about the sense of movement it gives it and what Thom Sturgill said about constantly trying to align the segments if they were both 12 on 12. Thanks guys.

..... So that's where my "segmented,burnt, beaded,and with a ribbon finial " went to ... Nice work !!!
    John 3:16

Agreed, I wouldn't touch the lid. I like them being different, and as I was looking at the pictures I was thinking it might look funny if the lid and base were the same. Hadn't thought about trying to line up the segments, but Thom has a point. Well done!