Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bevel Up Jointer: LN vs LV

Neither. LN #5.

For being new to hand planes, the Veritas Bevel Up planes proved easier to use and learn. The totes also feel very comfortable.

Took just over 8 hours for the first BD only post. I'm actually really surprised.

Sheesh, I'm surprised nobody has chimed in yet about all the virtues of spending 3 full weekends haunting flea markets and yard sales in order to find a decrepit vintage metal plane, then spending another 2 days restoring it, all in order to save some money. (of course, the 2 tanks of gas, 3 Big Gulps, and 2 combo meals at Mickey Ds and two breakfasts at Denny's (early rusthunter gets the goods), and a new chipbreaker ate up most of the potential savings. If one enjoys rust hunting, then it can be time well spent.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks all for the responses. I agree it is going to be a preference thing here. I think he prefers LN planes, but I have been telling him how awesome some of my LV specialty planes are and how much I love the LV BU Jack so I think he wants to make sure he makes a good decision. Its not like buying either will be a "bummer" hahahahah. First world problems right?

I would be surprised if he doesn't buy the LN. We will be at the show and we get a small discount for attending one of the local woodworking schools. That might be all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    Took just over 8 hours for the first BD only post. I'm actually really surprised.
    I ran out of popcorn waiting for it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I spent $60 on my vintage #6 plus $15 for shipping. No weekends were lost, no gas was used and no chip breakers were purchased. I planned to eat that day anyway, so it seemed disingenuous to add in the cost of my meals. I spent $15 for my vintage spokeshave. The effort to restore consisted of sharpening the iron and 5 minutes spent disassembling, inspecting and lubricating the parts. I do this periodically to most of my tools, so it might be a reach including that in the costs as well.

A vintage plane is massively less expensive than a new plane from LV or LN and yet it slices through wood just like the new ones.

If you want to spend $500 on a shiny new toy, then do so. It's your money. But don't pretend the cost is somehow justified by Big Gulp savings.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Sheesh, I'm surprised nobody has chimed in yet about all the virtues of spending 3 full weekends haunting flea markets and yard sales in order to find a decrepit vintage metal plane, then spending another 2 days restoring it, all in order to save some money. (of course, the 2 tanks of gas, 3 Big Gulps, and 2 combo meals at Mickey Ds and two breakfasts at Denny's (early rusthunter gets the goods), and a new chipbreaker ate up most of the potential savings. If one enjoys rust hunting, then it can be time well spent.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

My De#6c came in the mail. It was very rusty, and had broke during shipping, due to an old crack. Got a refund for the plane, used that to get a new base for the plane, cleaned up most of the original parts. It now has a Swedish Shark on the new iron, new wood tote. The original Guta percha was toast, and came off in about six chunks. A thorough clean, and fettle, and the iron was nice and sharp. Total cost? MAYBE $25, if that. The Broken down one was $15. Refund from that paid for the replacement parts. Maybe a few dollars here and there to finish it up. That Berg iron? Traded a Stanley iron for it, as the stanley was the wrong size for that plane.

It will shake a see through shaving any time I want one. It will level a panel as needed, And will joint just about any edge. Since the rebuild, I had to sharpen the iron....maybe..twice...

Seem to like the size, and weight....SDC12762.jpgWhat came in the mailSDC15354.jpgand after the rebuild. YMMV

That's beautiful. Maybe an LN could do better, but I don't see how (per the thread above). And frankly it is just so satisfying to get shavings like that from a plane you cleaned up.