Thread: Have You Ever Worked With Koa?

Have You Ever Worked With Koa?

I bought some koa, my first experience with the wood. I had to plane pieces flat and square. I don't have a power jointer, only planes. The irons are very sharp. But whatever I tried to do, I could not prevent tear out. I changed directions. I ran the plane at an angle. I set the iron to take whisper thin shavings. And I closed the mouth as much as I could. But nothing I did stopped the tear out. The only thing I didn't do was wet the wood.

Is this the nature of the wood or am I missing something?

Figured, curly, interlocked grain can make planing this wood painful. You need excruciatingly sharp tools and light cuts. However, it sands very nicely and takes most finishes very well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Focus on scraping cuts. A no. 80 cabinet scraper is a most useful tool. You can also explore double-bevel sharpening in order to raise the effective pitch angle of the plane you are using. German horned smoothers are often bedded at 50 degrees. I would guess you need to get close to 60 degrees to address the interlocked grain. Steve Knight used to make high angle smooth planes but I don't think he's doing it anymore. You may be able to locate a used one.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 04-09-2014 at 3:20 PM.

Chris is correct about figured, curly, interlocked grain woods. Try a scraper to smooth it down. Get a good burr on the scraper and it should work without any tear out.

For just finishing purposes, I understand using a scraper. But if you're trying to flatten a board or joint an edge (I needed to do both), then what? The wood isn't highly figured but it may have interlocking grain and that's what is giving me problems. I just sharpened the plane irons a couple of weeks ago and haven't used them that much but maybe I need to sharpen them again.

I've had similar problems hand planing mesquite. It can take a very long time to plane, due to light cut and frequent sharpening. I'm usually smoothing though, not dimensioning.

For mesquite, I like to hollow grind the blade and buff the edge on a hand crank felt wheel with some fine polishing compound - stuff I have is for stainless steel, any very fine polish would do for charging the wheel. Needs touch up often, maybe after 30 minutes of use.

I don't know how much flattening you need to do, Julie, but a router floating above the koa riding on parallel/coplanar rails might be another way to flatten it.

Or, God forbid, a handheld belt sander might work.

I'd start with a resharpening and trying again.

Polish and set the chipbreaker about 1/32" from the edge. Set up right, it can manage tearout... not as well as double-bevel sharpening I think but nearly as well. Read up on chipbreaker tuning if you want to get your bench plane performing as well as possible.

Thanks guys! I'll give conventional methods another try before I take out the belt sander

I made a mantel clock for my sister out of Koa. As mentioned the figured grain can be challenging but doable with sharp tools. I ended up sizing everything with my drum sander, it was a lot easier than changing blades on my jointer & planer.

clock.jpg
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice work there, Mr. Page! Yep, I ended up doing A LOT of sanding to tame tear-out on koa. A beautiful wood but I'm not sure I'd work with it again.

Beautiful piece.

Using a scraper on curly woods tends to leave a washboard surface that follows the end grain/tangential grain of the wood. Try wetting down the koa with a rag, let it sit for a minute and as you see the moisture wick off begin to plane with your sharpest plane. Never fails. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Using a scraper on curly woods tends to leave a washboard surface that follows the end grain/tangential grain of the wood. Try wetting down the koa with a rag, let it sit for a minute and as you see the moisture wick off begin to plane with your sharpest plane. Never fails. Ever.
    Thanks Chris. I'll have to try that next time.

I ended up doing the drum sander method. Koa is so beautiful when planed I just kept trying. It would go fine for a bit then tear out. I saw nothing in the grain indicating that would happen. It's not figured like Bruce's clock so I kept thinking it was me. But it kept happening. Anyway, I got the boards flat and edges straight for gluing using just sanding. I ended up using a beam sander for the glue edges.

Thanks everyone for your help!

And I'll assume the plane(s) you're using have a good high angle? I tried flattening some Big Leaf Quilted Maple with ~38* angle (25+the bed on my LV BUJ). The tearout was way bad. I put a 50* micro bevel on another blade (for 62*) and had no problem with tearout.

...Chuck