Thread: washing machines

washing machines

I need a new washing machine as the transmission on mine is giving out. What brands are good and which ones should i avoid. It has to be a top loader due to space restrictions. Thank you.

There's a thread about this from last year when I had to buy new ones. I was looking at front loaders but I believe someone mentioned some top loaders in there too. I seem to recall something about Speed Queen making commercial units that were classic top load washers.

Of course what's available in Canada may be much different than what's available here.

Chuck,

Consumer Reports publishes reliability data. Check with your local library. They probably have an online subscription and can help you find the article.

Last year we bought a brand new 2012 Maytag MHW6000XG. The 6000 & 7000 were CR's top rated front loaders for 2012. Because it was the previous year's model, we got it at a deep discount through an Amazon dealer, Dynamic Deals (http://www.amazon.com/shops/Dynamic-deals/ref=aag_m_ss). Apparently, they specialize in discontinued models and overstock. They arranged shipping through a third party and the guys unpacked it and set it where I wanted it. It was up to me to hook it up and level it, though.

Cheers,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    There's a thread about this from last year when I had to buy new ones. I was looking at front loaders but I believe someone mentioned some top loaders in there too. I seem to recall something about Speed Queen making commercial units that were classic top load washers.

Of course what's available in Canada may be much different than what's available here.
    Yes i agree...the machines are not the same in Canada....i think the quality is not as good as what is available in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Chuck,

Consumer Reports publishes reliability data. Check with your local library. They probably have an online subscription and can help you find the article.

Last year we bought a brand new 2012 Maytag MHW6000XG. The 6000 & 7000 were CR's top rated front loaders for 2012. Because it was the previous year's model, we got it at a deep discount through an Amazon dealer, Dynamic Deals (http://www.amazon.com/shops/Dynamic-deals/ref=aag_m_ss). Apparently, they specialize in discontinued models and overstock. They arranged shipping through a third party and the guys unpacked it and set it where I wanted it. It was up to me to hook it up and level it, though.

Cheers,
    Charles
    I finally got the new machine but it a quiet wash all electronic model. Seems very different in operation to the old type the made much more mechanical noise.

I would suggest looking at Roper while you are researching if they are available in your area. Less expensive due to less advertising. We have had our Roper set quite a while now and are very happy with it. Roper
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I would suggest looking at Roper while you are researching if they are available in your area. Less expensive due to less advertising. We have had our Roper set quite a while now and are very happy with it. Roper
    I already bought the machine and have used it for a wash. It seems quite different than the machines of yore!

Chuck,

We bought a new one. It's a top loader, and it appears there is no transmission. All electric. We bought a matching drier due to the new machines increased capacity. The washer is made in the US and the drier made in Canada. We have had them since August and my wife loves them. The new ultra fast spin cycle reduced drying time by about 40%.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Just replaced ny mothers 35 year-old Whirlpool top loader, with a Kenmore model that looks exactly the same: same control dials and everything. You can't tell who makes what anymore, as my last washer was a Kenmore made by Electrolux, replacing a Kenmore made by GE. Whirlpool and Maytag owned by same company and use the same factory as I understand it.

We've had a fisher paykel ecosmart for 8 years now. My wife does about 8 loads a week (I have no idea why, but she does). It's been good thus far, and like the type ken is talking about, no transmission and a very fast spin. I'd bet in 8 years, the washer has paid for itself in reduced dryer time. The dryer (which they no longer make) has a moisture sensor instead of temp sensor and also runs for less time. It takes about 20 minutes for a load to try on low/med heat.

That said, CR suggests that the ecosmart has higher than normal repair issues. I only know of two in service, mine and a relatives, and both have for a combined 15 years or so been good. There isn't much to replace on one, though, and I'd imagine if something goes bad, it'll be time to throw away the machine.