Thread: Problems with finish "cracking"

Problems with finish "cracking"

Continue to have a problem with em6500 cracking over Em1000. Could this be caused by the em1000 not being fully dry before spraying the em6500? It was dry to the touch but I have noticed that I seem to have this problem around areas that my spray pattern overlapped or was a bit heavier. I have also noticed some cracking issues with em9000 over the em6500. I think that I just got impatient and didn't allow proper time to dry before the next coat although it felt dry to the touch. Please help!

I used the em6000 on a bedroom set and found that it took quite a while to dry. I had to let it sit at least 24 hours in order to sand between coats.

I'm not familiar with those finishes, but I've sprayed some oil-based paints before that had a "no-recoat" window, something like between 2 and 24 hours. That is, you could recoat before 2 hours or after 24 hours, but not between. The result would be something similar to what you have. On the upside, one of my co-workers once sprayed a refrigerator for a client and ended up with a crinkled finish because he recoated at the wrong time. He was beside himself, but when the client saw it, she liked it!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

When I go to the original pictures on photo bucket and enlarge them, I can clearly see fisheyes, dimples and craters.

Those defects usually indicate some sort of surface contamination.

I'm mostly at a loss as to what or why. I believe you need to involve Target and let them view the pictures in as much detail as you can provide.

I'd also like to hear what they believe the cause to be.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon