Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robust AB vs Powermatic 3520B

Charles, I didn't see anyone mention this so in case you aren't aware. Walter Meier Tools was recently acquired by a private equity firm (Tenex). Link to more info. Since you voiced concern for the future of Robust, I thought it could be relevant info. Being fairly recent, I don't think enough time has passed for any of us to know how that deal will impact PM. But IMO, mergers/acquisitions usually bring change of some sort.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks Brian, that could me a lot of this ranging from these companies are great investments as is or they are in some kind of trouble and need "restructuring." That could be really bad if the firm has no understanding of these tools.
    Charlie

Vicmarc? Talk to Christiane and Jeri at Woodworker's Emporium, they will hook you up. While you're at it, ask them about the turner they met in Morocco.

On a related note, for those who speak of "matching your turning style", illuminate for me what differences in turning style would apply vis a vis the AB and PM3520/
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John,
    Turning style and what people turn are easy to understand once thought put into it. There are those that turn nothing but boxes, hollow forms, bowls, urns and etc. Some turn out of balance pieces, purchased rounds that are mostly balanced, small pieces - big pieces of wood. Some use carbide tools only and some use scrapers and yet others gouges and others captured hollowing tools and others hand hollowing tools. This is a small sampling of the different turning styles and and what people turn. So why spend twice as much money for a lathe if don't need the extra 1hp or weight or swing or etc. Why buy a sliding head stock if for what you turn a fixed head stock will work best for your turning style. Extra money would be better spent on tools, safety, classes and etc. It seems so common that everyone thinks that everyone else turns like they do which is so not true. I hope this helps in understanding what I am trying to say. In my case I rough turn over a 1000 bowls blanks every year and core them therefore a fixed head stock is mandatory for me. 3hp is mandatory for me and cast iron is preferred and a thicker bed than 1/2" is preferred. There is a lot of stress put on a lathe when turning like this so one should buy a machine that can handle that turning style and no not all machines will handle it. In closing understanding what and how you turn is more important than buying more of a machine than needed or less of a machine that is needed.

John: I've read with interest some of the replies here - and my opinion is that you should buy the machine you think will fill all of your needs. I've only been turning for 8 years now, and don't really fall into any category. I want to be able to do just about anything I want with my equipment. I don't rough and core 1000 blanks a year - probably only 10% of that on average. But I do throw odd, off balance chunks of wood on from time to time, I turn boxes if I feel like it and the wood calls for it, platters at 24" in diameter, bowls as big as I can get them (for some reason I've got a few people that actually like very large fruit bowls. A while back I even turned a few bottle stoppers and a pen just to say I did.
    When I core, it's nice to get the tailstock out of the way quickly, and even better to be at the end of the bed with the headstock slid down towards the end.
    3hp doesn't add up to much when doing stoppers or pens, but it sure helps when coring. Being able to push the tailstock out of the way with one hand (and
    get it back with one hand comes in handy when you're hitting the age where medicare is kicking in).
    It's the niceties you come to appreciate over time and make the tool more valuable to you as a turner. It also allows you to explore all the options, within reason.
    There are going to be those who swear by cast iron for damping vibration, and those who look at weldments as a better way to accomplish the same goal. One isn't necessarily better than the other - just different.

I've said it earlier - get some turning time on the candidates you've narrowed down. What fits one guy doesn't fit them all. For the kind of investment you're contemplating, a couple gallons of gas and a few hours of your time will pay off over time.
    It's a lot like buying shoes - get what fits best - you'll be the one wearing them.

Well said Jeffery, exactly what I am saying. Try them out and buy what fits the best. It is like buying a pair of shoes. Sometimes they fit the same though, so why spend twice as much as the other pair unless you have more money than sense. It is also like buying a pickup. If you know what you need it for and the F150 will work for you why buy a F250 for 50% to 100% more. We can all say that someday I may want to turn this or that but odds are if you haven't by now you won't, that is if you are an experienced turner. Besides the two lathes he mentioned will both handle the occasional larger item. The finish and tolerances are nicer on the AB though.

Just a follow up, I bought the AB. It is a joy to use and am not looking back. I still think the 3520b might be the best value, but the the AB has features that make it a luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Charles, I didn't see anyone mention this so in case you aren't aware. Walter Meier Tools was recently acquired by a private equity firm (Tenex). Link to more info. Since you voiced concern for the future of Robust, I thought it could be relevant info. Being fairly recent, I don't think enough time has passed for any of us to know how that deal will impact PM. But IMO, mergers/acquisitions usually bring change of some sort.
    I would be concerned that they were acquired by a private equity firm. Generally, the goal of a private equity firm is to make lots of money fast for its investors. This is sometimes accomplished to the detriment of the businesses that they acquire. Here is a link to About Tenex.
    Bill

Congrats on the new lathe Charles! Pretty sweet piece of equipment.

Just like buying wine---screwtop or cork or a bag&tube you hang from the boom. How thirsty, how rich and how pretty is the girl.

You will love using the Robust. I roll mine outdoors on pretty days such as this:

Bill