Thread: Ceiling Joist Span.....Question

Ceiling Joist Span.....Question

I'm needing to build a garage on the end of my house. It is planned to be 32' wide by 24' long. Is there a way to make that 32' span without floor to ceiling support in the middle of the garage?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Trusses or manufactured joists

Stick built....2x6 roof joists and 2x4 stud walls.
    I guess I'm going to need a center support beam?
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I don't see a problem if the trusses go front to back. You'll want something going across the 36' to steady the joists, but 2x4s will do that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Dennis -

Oh....and did I mention that this garage roof will have to line up with the existing house?
    Dennis -

So, you're talking about 32' trusses, not 24'?
    That would be nice info to have.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Yes....the roof line has to follow the existing house roof.....that would make the trusses spanning the 32' garage.
    Dennis -

In that case, you need a beam, and support columns.

ok. Thank you Myk....Much appreciated.
    Dennis -

You can get 32' span trusses without any support... go to your local truss builder and give them the specs you need...
    i.e. span width, roof pitch (4/12, 5/12, etc...), overhang on edges, etc.... they will be able to build a truss without
    any center supports....

You will be glad you did... no center supports makes the interior very flexible... walls anywhere you want and not load bearing...

Also, they will be close to the cost of you building them yourself and will meet code requirements...

Plus by using pre-built trusses it saves a lot of time and labor putting it up...

Well worth it...
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 04-11-2014 at 9:37 PM.

If you build your own trusses, your building inspector may require you to set up a truss and load test it in his presence. My brother-inlaw had to do that for our inspector. A truss company should have an approved plan to build from.

John

You should be able to get trusses engineered to your spec or you could run a piece of steel/glue-lam across it to carry the center load. You could then do a stick built or truss roof and have the option of doing a room truss for extra storage space.

Agreed on the trusses and the inspector, almost all building inspectors want to see the stamped drawings before you install them........

Do you want storage or living space over the garage?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust