Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dining table build

Blog Entries

Dining table build

I need a break from the 'my widget is superior' threads, even though I do enjoy them on the whole.

This is a dining table I'm building;

This is just a mock up, only one has a flattened underside in this pic.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice. What kind of wood? I'd love to find boards that wide and thick with that much character.

Also, I wouldn't know how to deal with the board on the left that has that checking and crack down the middle. Will it split? How will you handle that?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick. Both the top and base are white ash.

I'm going to use a dutchman to keep the split from getting worse. There was enough leftover from the slabs that I will be able to make myself a coffee table as well.

Blog Entries
    Few more pics floating around;

Underside of the half-lap joint;

Whats with the Klaus workbench and all those silly LN tools???....my bench Fortune/Nelson bench and my Veritas tools are way better...hahahahah only kidding, of course!

I love build threads! Looking forward to seeing this progress! Look great so far!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Watch with the generalisations, one of those planes is ECE! .

still a lot up in the air, I'm not sure if I will leave the half laps open or capture them with some addition to the joinery.

Looks good, thanks for posting a build thread.

But too bad it's not on a roubo with vintage tools. (also ha ha ha..)

How are you planning to mate the top to the base?

Cheers,
    C

Blog Entries
    Thanks Christopher, I plan to attach it with overlapping battens that mate together with tapered dowel pins.

Ps. Roubo, shmoubo.

I somehow missed this thread earlier. Nice looking project! Nice wood! Nice shop and tools!
    There's just too much niceness here…I better go read some bile and acrimony on some of the other threads.
    OK seriously, looking forward to seeing how this build progresses.

- Steve

Ah the schmoubo's on me indeed, as i went french despite a strong dose of scand blood...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Steve!

Alright a few more details to post.

Very cool! Your table will look great when done. Here's a table I recently finished. Almost all Neander. (Except for the chainsaw mill I used to mill the original boards, and that I had someone run the top through a wide belt sander to finish flattening it after I go tired of the scrub and jack planes...)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ive-edge-table

How are you planning to mate the top to the base?
    I plan to attach it with overlapping battens that mate together with tapered dowel pins.
    That's essentially how I did it as well...

I noticed you had a bow-tie in one board to help stablize the crack/knot area. Are you planning on filling around it with epoxy or is that the underside only? You mentioned a dutchman, so that may be enough to give you a clean table top.

Again, cool table and thanks for the build thread!

Cool table build Brian!

But I just gotta ask, how do ya keep your carpeting so clean? I have a large rug that's kinda like the berber that you have and I simply can not vacuum up or sweep up the shavings. The worst is chips from the drill. Stuff is like Velcro. I've got the thing rolled up right now and have been thinking of throwing it out. I'll take it outside and try and shake it first, but I've just about had it with this rug. Guess you could say the rug is not tying the room together !
    Last edited by Judson Green; 04-14-2014 at 2:06 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents!

Tony, great table build as well! Those maple slabs are gorgeous.
    About the area with the feature, it is the top side since the book match did not look the same on the bottom. I decided to embrace it. I don't plan to fill it with anything, but I may do another Dutchman (aka bow tie). If needed.

Judson, OCD! I need an excuse to get rid if this carpet and polish the floors and this thing refuses to give me one. I just sweep it with the festool vac and go over it with a dyson once a week and it gives up all the chips.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-14-2014 at 4:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    About the area with the feature, it is the top side since the book match did not look the same on the bottom. I decided to embrace it. I don't plan to fill it with anything, but I may do another Dutchman (aka bow tie). If needed.
    OK, I filled the crack down the middle of the maple slabs I had to insure other cruft would not fill it up. Either way I think natural features like this are nice and I, as you say, "embrace them".