Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with wire nuts

Help with wire nuts

This might seem trivial, but what is the correct way to twist 3 or more wires with a wire nut? I just got finished with a ceiling box that had 3 12 gauge wires in each nut. I was working overhead , using a flashlight, and hanging on to a light fixture and it literally took me an hour because one wire would always seem to slip out.

I stripped each of the wires about 1/2 inch and then tried to twist on the nut. The wires were somewhat twisted from before and I tried to straighten them and then twist them together.

Should I be twisting them together with a wiring plier before putting on the nut, or just twisting the nut on? Any hints would be much appreciated.
    Stevo

Use a pair of lineman's pliers to start the twist and an appropriate sized wire nut, and strip more like 5/8. I like these push connectors instead, especially in a crowded box.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

+1 on the push connector.
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030

The only time that I have had trouble is when the wire nut in not the correct size for the wire. I think you may be using wire nuts that are a little small for three 12 gauge wires. 12 gauge romex is rather stiff and a smaller wire nut will tend to push one of the wires out. I wouldn't twist them before as that will only make them larger. Also, I was taught that you should always tug on each wire after you have twisted the wire nut on to ensure that each wire is a secure connection.

Blog Entries
    I have learned that if I thoroughly twist them first using a set of dykes after stripping them long, so there is a solid connection that will not fall apart, then clip any long tails, and then use a properly sized wire nut, I know nothing is going to slip out of the nut as I push them into the box. I used to just stuff them in a wire nut and hope that all of them got caught up in the threads. Too many times they didn't. And, yes, the new push-ons are nice and meet code, but I feel better with a solid mechanical connection. Kind of like back stabbing receptacles vs using the side screws.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-13-2014 at 8:17 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I never pre-twist the wires. I read somewhere a long time ago not to twist. The spring grip in the nut will stretch out and pull the wires together tight.

http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/005609.html

John

Some small wire nuts don't have the metal spring. Pre-twisting may help, but I don't do it. As the nut tightens, the wires will twist.

Leviton has so little faith in their wire nut they tell you to tape them on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32z6Q8--fEM

John

I strip a little extra, probably 5/8" or 3/4", use pliers to twist slightly, as it makes the wires fit together better so I can get the wire nut started. After I tighten it as much as I can, I use the pliers to tighten a little more. Then I pull on the wires to make sure one is not loose in the bunch. You need a variety of wire nut sizes to hook all the wires together.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I never pre-twist the wires. I read somewhere a long time ago not to twist. The spring grip in the nut will stretch out and pull the wires together tight.

http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/005609.html

John
    Most wire nut manufacturers say you can twist or not, up to the installer. Better to twist, I say, so you aren't relying entirely on the wire nut.

But even BETTER to use push or spring type connectors, IMHO. I'm beginning to see these more and more in commercial environments, and I really like them. I especially like the spring-level type because I think it provides the best connection between dissimilar strand types. For example, if you're adding a flexible drop and need to connect the fine strand pattern of that drop to a solid conductor, the lever spring type really excels at this.

I like those no push connecters...wish I had known about those years ago....will have to go see where I can get some locally, thanks for the info. I have always thought that the addition of a hex head on the end of the nut so you could run it on with a drill would be a smart innovation.......

Do those push connectors take up a lot more space? They look like it from the photo. Otherwise, looks like a great idea.

And I twist first, for no apparent reason.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Wow, thanks everybody. It looks like some like twisting and others dont. It also appears that if i twist i need to cut the ends and make sure the nut is correct.
    The best idea though seems to be the push connectors. I am going to get some tomorrow.
    thanks again so much.
    Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Use a pair of lineman's pliers to start the twist and an appropriate sized wire nut, and strip more like 5/8. I like these push connectors instead, especially in a crowded box.
    One inportant note, the linked connectors are not rated for stranded wire unless you tin the stands together. they're nice, but not a universal solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Ress View Post
    +1 on the push connector.
    +2. Twisting three wires is a pain; but yes, use linemans pliers if you insist on doing it. I bought some push connectors on Ebay designed for stranded wire; you push it in and then clamp it. Cool.

It is however fun to see an experienced electrician take 4 wires and casually twist them together.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    One inportant note, the linked connectors are not rated for stranded wire unless you tin the stands together. they're nice, but not a universal solution.
    Good point, some of them are not designed or stranded wire. A tip for joining solid and stranded wire is to put the stranded wire into the wire nut first, then push your solid wire in and tighten.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust