Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-2 Retractable Extention??

10-2 Retractable Extention??

I've been looking for a 10-2 retractable reel to hang on the ceiling above my PM66. Is there such a thing? I only need around 8-10 foot cord.

I have seen such a thing, but I don't know where it came from. Have you tried Grainger?

John

I've seen 12 gauge but not 10. Maybe an industrial supply or McMaster? Otherwise rig something yourself. Assuming its a 30 Amp breaker that you need 10Ga. I put receptacles in my ceiling then ran an extension I made down a pole to be centrally located.

Cord sets are rated different from regular wiring, especially for motors.

Make your own. Buy some 10-2/10-3 SO cable and put it on a reel.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Make your own. Buy some 10-2/10-3 SO cable and put it on a reel.
    That's what I was thinking also. I could use a 25 ft 14-2 reel and replace the wire with about 10' of 10-2 wire. Don't think I can get more than that. Thanks.
    Gilbert

Look at the amperage on a #12 ret. cord. Shorten the cord to match your needs, and change the plug sets.

Be careful with how you do this. If part of that cord is still in the reel, and you use it at levels approaching its rated amperage, you could see some really high temperatures inside the reel. Even the smaller corded reels, like 14 AWG, warn in the instructions to fully extend the cord before using it.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    That's what I was thinking also. I could use a 25 ft 14-2 reel and replace the wire with about 10' of 10-2 wire. Don't think I can get more than that. Thanks.
    Gilbert
    That's probably not a good idea. A retractable cord reel needs some kind of rotary connector to keep the cable from twisting as the reel turns. Typically this is slip rings with carbon brushes and this assembly also has a current rating. If you operate it at twice current it will have four times temperature rise. This has several effects, all of them bad.

A "10/2" cord would be a 2 wire cord, no grounding conductor. A cord reel that is suitable for more then 20 amperes will be real costly.

How about attaching the cord to a retractable cable.

I wanted a 10gauge reel also but couldn't find one.

You're not kidding. Grainger has one for 10/3--50 ft--but it is over $2K. http://www.grainger.com/product/HUBB...nd3?s_pp=false

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    You're not kidding. Grainger has one for 10/3--50 ft--but it is over $2K. http://www.grainger.com/product/HUBB...nd3?s_pp=false
    Well you can save a few bucks over Graingers price... Still quite expensive!

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00060124/...n=pricegrabber

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    At that price maybe I should order 2 and have a spare. lol

Wade, I've considered that as well but the only retractable I could think of is a dog leash.

I just hung a cord down from the attic where I wanted it above my unisaw. My neighbor was an electrician, he said to put a box above the saw, and take the size cord I need and tie a knot in it to keep it from working down out of the box.