Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sofa Table - Cherry and Ash - bent lamination and curved miters

Sofa Table - Cherry and Ash - bent lamination and curved miters

Hi All,

This is a sofa table that I recently finished. I call it 'Darwin' because its design has evolved greatly over the past 3 years. 48"x30"x16". It is made of cherry and ash, bent lamination for the leg frames and an ash inlay in the top.

An interesting detail is how the bottom frame is constructed. It utilizes a curved false miter - this is a joint that I've never seen before, so I decided to create it. It is basically just a bridal joint who's top face shares a curved mating surface.

Comments and critiques are VERY welcome. I enjoy the feedback I get from you folks and feel I grow as a designer when I have to defend my design.

Cheers,
    NWB

IMG_9982.jpgIMG_0030.jpgIMG_0037.jpgIMG_0042.jpgIMG_0050.jpg2 IMG_0034.jpgIMG_0017.jpg
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

NICE!! Love the joinery. Has a "Celtic" look from the front. Very creative.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Nick, that is one cool table. Excellently conceived and executed. I especially like the way you carried the curve theme though to the base frame corner. I've never ween such a joint, either. Well done.

Blog Entries
    That is really nice. I agree with the Celtic look. Did you want a Celtic look or is it a design by product? Love the curved miter.

Thanks for the kind words Guys! It really was a fun project to build.

As for the Celtic theme; yes I did involve that a bit in my design, but it mostly developed as I was putting blade to wood.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

1st off - the design is both complex and interesting. You did a nice job on the inlay and the joinery. I like the overall proportions and shaping of the structure. My question is related to the glass on the bottom structure. Why glass? Is that intended to be a display surface? Did you need the bottom frame for structural reasons (ie: tie the legs together) or was it added to the design for the purpose of display? Don't get me wrong, because I think the glass adds interest as opposed to a solid shelf which would throw the visual balance off. Are there special pieces that are intended to go on the bottom shelf?

WOW! There is definitely plenty of work in that. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    1st off - the design is both complex and interesting. You did a nice job on the inlay and the joinery. I like the overall proportions and shaping of the structure. My question is related to the glass on the bottom structure. Why glass? Is that intended to be a display surface? Did you need the bottom frame for structural reasons (ie: tie the legs together) or was it added to the design for the purpose of display? Don't get me wrong, because I think the glass adds interest as opposed to a solid shelf which would throw the visual balance off. Are there special pieces that are intended to go on the bottom shelf?
    Pat,
    Originally the shelf was not there and I knew I needed to do something in order to balance (visually and structurally) the piece. structurally this shelf solved alot of problems for me by stiffening up the piece as well as adding weight with 1/2" tempered glass. I knew the glass would add visual interest too; much more so than a solid wood shelf. To that end the curved miter also adds another eye catching element as well.
    Early on I had aluminum dowels that ran side to side at the top and bottom. Overall, I'm much happier with the design as it is now rather than where it started out.
    Thanks for the comments!
    Nick

That's a pretty cool design. Excellent execution and wood combo.

Not my style, but I'm impressed by your skills !!

Blog Entries
    What a fun piece. I agree with the celtic feel but, it has a whimsical element (think Hobbit Hole) to it as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nick - outstanding execution and I really like the material choice. Couple of questions on the design though.

1) That bottom shelf. It appears to have close to if not the same level of "overhang" (if I may use that word here) as the top shelf. Are you concerned at all about someone running into the sharp corner if they were to walk too close to it?

2) The inlay. Execution looks flawless but I think how you run it right up to the end of the vertical pieces and let it flow off the end of the board and run right into a horizontal(ish) element is a little abrupt. For my taste, it could have used something on the end to tie it off.

Please keep my thoughts in the right perspective - they are nitpicking (at best) and it's one of those deals where it is way easier to edit than to create as there is simply no way I would have been able to come up with such a cool design or professional execution on my own so kudos to you there.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I like it,too. Nice design to have in a place where it will be seen from different angles so that it dances as you walk by. So full of energy you might have to chain it to a sofa leg.

Blog Entries
    Nice piece. A very interesting take on the table. I like both the design and craftsmanship.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I want one.