Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natures Embellishments - 1st experience with sycamore

Natures Embellishments - 1st experience with sycamore

I have turned a lot of woods in the last few years, but never had the opportunity to turn sycamore.........and always wanted to try it because I really am fond of the lace grain structure in it. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I got an opportunity to cut some that was down at a construction site for a cabin along the Shenandoah River. This particular piece came from a large log that was hollow in the middle and as you can see had some "natural embellishers" that were resident in the wood. This was a slab piece off one of the sides.

This wood has spalting, lace grain and holes...........
    what a job done by nature, eh!?

Two of us went to a cut and haul session and we got about 36 pieces of assorted sizes........only loaded about 1/2 my trailer because I was coming down with the flu at the time and just ran out of gas before the chainsaw did!

At any rate........this is my first experience turning sycamore..........while this does not have any finish on it yet [I am waiting for an order from CS-USA I placed this morning - has some metal inlace and a few other items on it] I will finish it when I get the holes filled.

I think these holes were from big black carpenter ants..........we chased a large hoard away when loading for sure.......and I made sure they were all gone before sealing any pieces or taking any into my shop!!!

I have two colors of metal inlace coming .........red and blue. What is your opinion on which color will look best with this lacy grain and colors of the sycamore?
    Give me your votefor red or blue! The most votes gets the pick and I will show it again when finished! Thanks!

IMGP4097.jpg IMGP4098.jpgIMGP4099.JPGIMGP4100.jpgIMGP4101.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-14-2014 at 1:08 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

67 views BUT not one comment, is this because the work are too pretty for words

Do not bother to fill the holes. Celebrate them instead.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Do not bother to fill the holes. Celebrate them instead.
    To me, not filling the holes would make it seem unfinished ..........I think metal inlace will celebrate the holes in a nice way........just would like input on whether red or blue would look best in the opinions of this turning community!

I don't think either red or blue suits that piece well. It'd draw attention away from the beauty of the wood. If you need to fill it, I think I'd use black.

That is REALLY COOL looking. Great job!!!
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I am not much on Inlace. Put me in the camp of leaving the tracks as is, or filling with a very dark brown - nearly black, but not. In fact, acrylic paint in the tracks would work fine, IMO. The texture of the tracks would be there for surface contrast, and the dark color would provide contrast in hue.

Coffee grounds and Titebond would also work if you choose to fill them flush.

Another option is to get some finish on the piece, and then apply leaf sizing to the tracks and use copper leaf to accent them. If you get any leaf adhering outside the tracks, 0000 will knock it off quickly. Or, Golden Paints has some very effective metallic paints in bronze, gold, copper and silver.

"Celebrating" a natural defect is really a subjective matter. One person's celebration may be another's overpowering addition. Personally, I don't care for colors (as opposed to wood tones) to accent or "celebrate", and prefer either a more natural appearing addition or metallic accents.

But, then, that is why we all end up with different looking work! If all of us viewed things the same, we would all be making work that appeared to be from the same mold.

Well.........I suppose we should add two more choices to the mix............dark [brown or black] and leave holes as is....eeehhhh.......nope, .....I can't leave them like they are, but some sort of gold or copper paint has some intriguing appeal to me! Leave it to JK to mess with my mind!

I do have some brass key shavings on hand...................hummmm .............

I still want to hear from some others on this, if you would care to give your input!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-14-2014 at 4:46 PM.

I agree with JK -- my reaction was black, or dark brown.

I vote dark. Coffee grounds are my choice. Love the piece as is though.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

"NO" to blue, red, black and brown. I vote for filling with metal of any kind.

Another no vote here on red or blue. I like the copper or bronze idea or brown/coffee.

I usually like turquoise but this may be too light of a color for that to work. It will be nice no matter what you end up doing.

I keep walnut dust handy for when I want to fill holes like those. I do prefer natural colors, and the darker ones would blend in better.

robo hippy

I'd vote dark or maybe silver.